This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0716 / 56°4'17"N
Longitude: -3.1737 / 3°10'25"W
OS Eastings: 327030
OS Northings: 687146
OS Grid: NT270871
Mapcode National: GBR 29.PDXZ
Mapcode Global: WH6S1.6NYB
Entry Name: 9 St Leonard's Place and South Overgate, Julian Memorial Hall Including Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 9 March 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394238
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46862
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Burntisland, Kinghorn and Western Kirkcaldy
Traditional County: Fife
Probably 1838. 3-storey and part basement, flat-iron-plan former mill building on prominent corner site and steeply falling ground. Squared and coursed rubble, and dry-dash with droved ashlar margins and quoin strips. Base course. Relieving arches.
NW (ST LEONARD'S PLACE) ELEVATION: 3 tall bays to left of centre with door to outer right at ground, and 3 regularly-disposed windows to each floor. Lower bays to right with door to outer left at ground, 2 windows to 1st and 2nd floors grouped toward centre.
SW ELEVATION: gabled elevation with crenellated, polygonal porch to right at ground, door to W and pointed-arch window to S; small bipartite window to centre above and 2 windows to 2nd floor.
NE (CORNER) ELEVATION: single bay with window to ground and each floor above.
S ELEVATION: tall, narrow, stone-finialled gabled elevation with blank basement, window to right at ground and 2 windows to each floor above.
E (SOUTH OVERGATE) ELEVATION: regular fenestration to 6-bay elevation with door in bay to left of centre in raised basement.
Mostly 4-, 12-pane and plate glass glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Modern glazing to 1st floor NE, NW (2 left bays) AND E. Slate to lower block, modern tiles elsewhere. Ashlar stacks with some cans; ashlar-coped skews.
BOUNDARY WALLS: coped rubble boundary walls.
Formerly part of St Leonard's flax mill (listed separately), this group of buildings were probably erected in 1838 when Messrs Swan of Kirkcaldy extended the mill premises. Now (1999) converted to flats.
Other nearby listed buildings