This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.082 / 56°4'55"N
Longitude: -3.1899 / 3°11'23"W
OS Eastings: 326042
OS Northings: 688323
OS Grid: NT260883
Mapcode National: GBR 28.NWV1
Mapcode Global: WH6S0.ZD5B
Entry Name: Banchory Including Walled Garden, Boundary Walls and Gates
Listing Date: 9 March 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394241
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46865
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Burntisland, Kinghorn and Western Kirkcaldy
Traditional County: Fife
Earlier to mid 19th century. 2-storey, 3-bay, L-plan, piend-and-platform-roofed farmhouse with single storey wing to rear. Harled with droved ashlar margins and quoin strips. Cavetto eaves cornice. Stone mullions and chamfered arrises.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: centre bay at ground with flat-roofed, corniced and pilastered ashlar porch, panelled timber door and 2-part fanlight, bipartite window in bay to right of centre and canted tripartite with corniced blocking course in projecting bay to left. Regular fenestration to 1st floor.
NE ELEVATION: later French window in bay to right of centre at ground, and 2 windows to 1st floor.
SW ELEVATION: modern conservatory to ground and 3 irregular windows at 1st floor. Single storey wing with 2 windows slightly set-back to outer left.
NW ELEVATION: variety of elements including piended single storey bay off-centre left, and further single storey wing projecting to right. Stair window to centre above.
12-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows; some varied glazing patterns to single storey wing. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks with full complement of polygonal cans.
INTERIOR: plain cornices and staircase with cast-iron balusters.
WALLED GARDEN: coped rubble walls to rectangular-plan walled garden at NW.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATES: semicircular-coped rubble boundary walls with decorative ironwork gates.
The original Banchory farmhouse is situated at nearby Banchory Farm. This house was built by the Philp Trust, an educational trust set up by Robert Philp of Edenshead (died 1828), owner of the West Mill in Kirkcaldy. Nearby Drinkbetween and Craigencalt Farmhouse also belonged to the Philp Trust.
Other nearby listed buildings