History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Auchtertool Parish Church Graveyard, Stones, Boundary Walls, Gatepiers, and Gates

A Category C Listed Building in Auchtertool, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.0978 / 56°5'52"N

Longitude: -3.2757 / 3°16'32"W

OS Eastings: 320739

OS Northings: 690180

OS Grid: NT207901

Mapcode National: GBR 25.MVCV

Mapcode Global: WH6RS.NZCQ

Entry Name: Auchtertool Parish Church Graveyard, Stones, Boundary Walls, Gatepiers, and Gates

Listing Date: 9 March 2000

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 394251

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46875

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Auchtertool

County: Fife

Electoral Ward: Burntisland, Kinghorn and Western Kirkcaldy

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Cowdenbeath

Description

17th century and later. Rubble walls enclosing church and graveyard. Variety of styles including some 17th century table stones with moulded legs; finest (table only) commemorates David Martin, minister of Auchtertool 1636, relief carving of figure dressed in knee-breeches and gown, with feet on skull. Oldest stone (severely eroded) dated 1604, to James Burnlie, some evidence of his and his wife's crest (see Notes). Emblems on moulded apex stones include spade and shovel flanking vertical hour glass with 'IHGA' and '1788' to obverse. 19th century stones include a small cast obelisk with ropework moulding erected in 1869 by 'JAS DEWAR', and stamped 'Inverkeithing Brickwork'.

BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES: low rubble boundary walls with ball-finialled, square-section ashlar gatepiers and decorative cast-iron gates. Smaller ball-finialled piers flank hooped iron pedestrian gate to S.

Statement of Interest

Stevenson mentions a book recording the use of 'iron coffin and janker-stone' for 275 burials after 1830 by the Auchtertool Mortsafe Association. The Association was dissolved in 1853. Stevenson also records a story regarding the wife of James Burnlie (1604 stone); her arms showed "a crown, a hammer, and pincers", relating to her blacksmith ancestor who "reversed the shoes of King Robert the Bruce's horse when he was fleeing upon a snowy winter's day before the English".

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.