This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.077 / 56°4'37"N
Longitude: -3.4718 / 3°28'18"W
OS Eastings: 308487
OS Northings: 688107
OS Grid: NT084881
Mapcode National: GBR 1X.P5ZB
Mapcode Global: WH5QR.MJY4
Entry Name: Baldridgeburn, Mclean Primary School, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Wall to South
Listing Date: 10 March 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394260
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46880
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Dunfermline North
Traditional County: Fife
Andrew Scobie, 1895-96; extended to N (also by Scobie) 1913-14; with alterations and addition. Single storey; rectangular-plan school with internal courtyard. Original block Jacobethan with mullioned and transomed windows and heavily ornamented and pilastered gables, including Dutch gables; early 20th century L-shaped extension of plainer design with deep overhanging eaves and hipped breaking eaves dormers. Original block coursed stugged snecked sandstone with droved ashlar dressings; extended in harled brick with droved sandstone ashlar dressings. Rockfaced base course and eaves cornice surmounted by low parapet to original block (apart from to courtyard elevation); chamfered reveals to windows; coped gables. Base course with band course to L-shaped extension; ashlar jambs to openings to E elevation.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical arrangement to principal elevation of original block. Dutch gable to 3-bay centrepiece with central 4-light mullioned and transomed breaking eaves window and flanking windows; all divided and framed by strip pilasters; square panel to gable flanked by continuation pilasters, carved with scrolls and foliage and dated 'McCLEAN SCHOOL - 1896'; ball finials to either side of pediment above. Pair of 2-light mullioned windows with flanking strip pilasters to either side. 4-bay gabled projecting sections at either end; each with central pair of 6-light mullioned and transomed breaking eaves windows and flanking windows; all divided and framed by strip pilasters; that to centre continues to ball finial at shaped apex of gable; flanking ball finials above cornice dividing upper half of gable. All windows to central 15-bay section have moulded surrounds. Slightly lower height corner sections set back to either side; each with slightly projecting outer bay with 2-light mullioned window and window to slightly recessed inner bay.
E ELEVATION: original block to left with central entrance; steps up to slightly projecting breaking-eaves entrancepiece with pilastered quoins and Dutch gable; central entrance with moulded lugged architrave and rusticated flanking pilasters; replacement part-glazed door with rectangular fanlight; narrow flanking windows with moulded surrounds set back slightly; corniced frieze above eaves supports parapet at base of Dutch gable; central panel to lower section inscribed in relief 'BOYS'; flanking pilasters support corniced frieze at base of moulded semicircular pediment with ball finial. 2-light mullioned window set back slightly to either side; additional small narrow window to right. Early 20th century addition adjoins to right, linked to older part by single low bay with 2-light mullioned window. Taller 5-bay section adjoins to right; large 6-light breaking eaves mullioned and transomed window with hipped roof to centre and one to each of outer flanking bays; alternate 3-light mullioned windows in between; all with stone mullions/transoms and jambs and linked by cill course. 5 bays set back to outer right; gabled bay with 2-light mullioned window to left; flanking openings (that to right converted to door); external stack to right; 2-light mullioned window and small narrow window to outer right.
W ELEVATION: original block to right with central entrance; slightly projecting breaking-eaves entrancepiece with pilastered quoins and Dutch gable; central entrance with moulded lugged architrave and rusticated flanking pilasters; replacement timber door with rectangular fanlight; narrow flanking windows with moulded surrounds set back slightly; corniced frieze above eaves supports parapet at base of Dutch gable; central panel to lower section inscribed in relief 'GIRLS'; flanking pilasters support corniced frieze at base of moulded semicircular pediment with ball finial. 2-light mullioned window set back slightly to either side. Early 20th century addition to outer left; gabled bay with 2-light mullioned window to right; flanking windows connected by cill course; angled bay to right; 2 ? bays to left with 3-light lunette window to outer left. Late 20th century Infill section with central 6-bay canted section and large entrance with canted lintel to centre of elevation.
N ELEVATION: 13 bays. Ground floor projects as lean-to with 5 regularly spaced entrances with part-glazed timber doors divided and flanked by paired windows with connecting cill bands; 3-light lunette window to flanking outer bays. 6 irregularly grouped breaking-eaves 2-light mullioned dormers set back over lean-to.
INTERNAL COURTYARD: 3-bay gabled sections to centre and outer edges of original block to S; 3-bay sections in between; each with entrance with part-glazed replacement door and rectangular fanlight to inner bay. Early 20th century extension to N and E; lean-to passageway to E with outer flanking entrances with replacement part-glazed doors; mullioned dormers set back above; 3 entrances with part-glazed doors and rectangular fanlights to central section to highly fenestrated (with connecting cill band) S side; flanking 2-bay gabled sections with 4 outer bays on each side. Wraparound early 20th century section with gablet and lean-to passageway to right of W side; late 20th century infill sections to left.
Horned timber sash and case windows (2 and 4-pane lower sections, 4 and 6-pane upper sections) to original block and most of early 20th century extension; timber casements to hall to E; pivot-opening and fixed timber frames to N elevation. Grey slate roofs; leaded finials to hipped sections of original block. Corniced ridge stacks to either side of main entrances to E and W elevations (one to W side partly removed); corniced ridge stack with frieze to E side of original block; tall harled external stack with replacement coping and pair of corniced ridge stacks with friezes to E side of early 20th century extension; coped ridge stack to W side; cans mainly missing. Retains substantial amount of early cast-iron rainwater goods, including decorative hoppers with heart motif to early 20th century extension
INTERIOR: not inspected (1999).
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALL TO S: low coursed stugged sandstone wall with moulded ashlar coping surmounted by cast-iron railings incorporating scroll pattern, stepped down in stages along road. Corniced pier with ball coping defines angle at junction with boundary wall to E. 2 pairs of square-plan gatepiers in line with main entrances; each with base course and moulded coping, pedimented on each side and surmounted by ball finial; cast-iron gates incorporating scroll pattern.
The original Jacobethan block is the most significant part of the building. The school is named after the Rev Allan McLean (1749-1836), who on his death left money for the endowment of its predecessor (which was on a different site near to North Parish Church on Golfdrum Street). The school was refurbished in 1983.
Other nearby listed buildings