This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.091 / 56°5'27"N
Longitude: -3.438 / 3°26'16"W
OS Eastings: 310626
OS Northings: 689623
OS Grid: NT106896
Mapcode National: GBR 1Z.N7KT
Mapcode Global: WH6RX.554D
Entry Name: Chisholm Street, Townhill Primary School, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Wall to N, S and W
Listing Date: 10 March 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394274
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46890
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Dunfermline North
Traditional County: Fife
Thomas Frame and Sons, 1875; extended by T Hyslop Ure 1911-12. Single storey; rectangular-plan school. Simple Gothic Revival design with pointed-arched openings to principal (W) elevation and mullioned and transomed windows. Coursed rockfaced sandstone with droved sandstone ashlar dressings; extension harled with brick base course and sandstone ashlar dressings. Base course to original block; chamfered reveals to openings. Gable end windows set forward slightly with slightly projecting section of wall stepped outer to either side; pointed relieving arch to each one; arrowhead opening to gable above; same arrangement to flush breaking-eaves windows to E elevation. Coped gables with roll-moulded finials except to principal elevation.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: more or less symmetrical. Steps up to entrances to either side of double central bay (that to left has disabled ramp); each with large breaking-eaves gable-headed pointed opening with splayed reveals; moulded skewputts to gables; both with Greek cross finial set in circle and carved roundel at apex; that to left inscribed 'TOWNHILL PUBLIC SCHOOL 1875'; that to right 'PARISH OF DUNFERMLINE SCHOOL BOARD'. Entrances with replacement glazed doors set back within recess; flanking narrow windows set in angled walls. Small narrow window centred in between; flanking windows (mullioned bipartite to left). Window to right of right entrance. Flanking finialled gabled projecting outer bays (upper parts of finials missing); each with large mullioned and transomed sexpartite with raised central light; foil-moulded lintel to each of upper lights.
E ELEVATION: Original block formerly 6-bay; mullioned tripartite to each bay, apart from penultimate flanking bays; each with gabled breaking-eaves mullioned and transomed sexpartite with raised central light. Bay to right of centre now obscured by low early 20th century passageway leading to addition of same date.
N ELEVATION: slightly projecting gabled bay with large mullioned and transomed 8-light window to left. Mullioned tripartite set back to right.
S ELEVATION: slightly projecting gabled bay with large mullioned and transomed 8-light window to right. Mullioned tripartite set back to left. Square-plan concreted chimney at junction between.
Multi-pane timber sash and case windows; also fixed frame with top/bottom opening vents. Grey slate valley roof (lower height ridge to W) with outer wings at right angles; decorative red ridge tiles (missing in parts); tiled rectangular-plan vent base to E ridge (vent missing). Coped stepped ridge stacks with band courses to N and S wings; small coped circular-plan stack with band course to valley roof; round cans.
INTERIOR: not inspected (1999).
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALL: sandstone rubble boundary wall with stugged rounded coping to N, S and W of original building. Main gateways to NW and S; both with pair of square-plan partially droved sandstone ashlar gatepiers; with bases, chamfered and stopped arrises and pyramid coping; replacement gates. Pedestrian gateway to N; wall raised to either side.
A fairly typical school of simple Gothic Revival design, built following the Education Act of 1872 (which made elementary education compulsory). The school was carefully designed to separate boys from girls - a tradition maintained in the 1911-12 extension.
Other nearby listed buildings