This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0716 / 56°4'17"N
Longitude: -3.456 / 3°27'21"W
OS Eastings: 309457
OS Northings: 687481
OS Grid: NT094874
Mapcode National: GBR 1Y.PHJX
Mapcode Global: WH5QR.WNGB
Entry Name: East Port, Viewfield Baptist Church, Including Hall
Listing Date: 10 March 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394289
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46903
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Dunfermline Central
Traditional County: Fife
Peter L Henderson, 1882-84; extension to W 1949. Overall rectangular-plan structure orientated N/S; comprising square-plan church with galleried nave built over church hall at basement level; lower-height chancel enclosed within slightly lower section to S incorporating staircase and ancilliary offices. Gothic Revival design with Geometric tracery to principal windows of church and shallow gabled porch to N with heavily carved tympanum. Coursed rockfaced sandstone with droved sandstone ashlar dressings and polished ashlar details. Base course to church to ground floor. Cill course to principal windows to principal bay to principal (N) elevation; band course forms hood-mould over principal windows to church to E and W elevations and continues across low parapets; band course towards apex of each gable. Long and short surrounds to most openings. Coped gables.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: shallow gabled porch to centre; steps up to pair of entrances set back within moulded Gothic archway with 3 flanking pairs of nook-shafts; carved stops to outer moulding (hood-mould). Ashlar surrounds to entrances; richly carved foliage in between and to tympanum above; multi-foil panel at head with bust of cherub carved at centre; diagonally boarded 2-leaf timber doors with elaborate strap hinges. Trefoil-headed niche with single flanking nook-shafts at apex of porch. Porch extends as lean-to to either side below gable; lancet window to outer return on either side. Principal gabled bay set back slighly; lancet window with roll-moulded surround to either side of porch; basement window below that to right; double-arched blind arcade flanking porch gable; large hood-moulded tripartite window arrangement at apex; central window at higher level; all with geometric tracery at head; pair of narrow ventilation openings at head of gable above; foliate cross finial at apex; carved roundels at base of gable on either side; that to left inscribed with date 1883. Main body of building set back slightly with lean-to sections at lower level to either side; each with hood-moulded entrance with roll-moulded surround and typmanum with plain carved roundel; diagonally boarded 2-leaf timber doors with elaborate strap hinges. Semicircular-plan stairtower projects to outer left, rising to just above level of lean-to (with band course adjoining it at eaves level; see E Elevation).
E ELEVATION: built into sloping ground. Main 4-bay body of church to right. Lower-height single bay ancilliary section adjoins to left. Outer right bay of main section occupied by semicircular-plan stairtower at basement and lower level. Mullioned and transomed window with pointed upper lights to each of 3 bays to basement to left; 6-lights to that to centre; 4 lights to flanking ones. Hood-moulded 2-light mullioned window (each light pointed) to each of 3 bays above. 3 lancet windows to semicircular-plan bay to outer right. Pair of geometric traceried windows, each with central mullion, to centre of upper level. Gable above with cusped ventilation opening at head. Gabled dormer window to outer flanking bays; each with simplified geometric tracery; that to right (above semicircular-plan stairtower) is shorter. Entrance with replacement boarded timber door to right of ancillary section adjoining to left; central window above; pair of windows to top level. Bottom corner of wall chamfered to outer left.
W ELEVATION: built into sloping ground. Main 4-bay body of church to left. Lower-height single-bay ancilliary section adjoins to right. Mid 20th century L-plan 2-storey harled and rockfaced sandstone toilet extension obscures most of lower part of outer left bay. Side of lean-to section of principal (N) elevation to outer left; small ventilation opening to basement; lancet window above. Mullioned and transomed window with pointed upper lights to basement to each of 3 bays to right; 6 lights to that to centre; 4 lights to flanking ones. Hood-moulded 2-light mullioned window (each light pointed) to each of 3 bays above. Pair of geometric traceried windows, each with central mullion to centre of upper level. Gable above with cusped ventilation opening at head. Gabled dormer window to outer flanking bays of main body of church; each with simplified geometric tracery. Basement window to to ancilliary section adjoining to right. 6-light mullioned and transomed window above with upper central light pointed in Palladian manner; pair of windows to top level.
S ELEVATION: irregular fenestration to ancilliary section. Pair of entrances to right of basement; both with replacement timber doors; one louvred; one boarded. Flanking windows to pair. Small lean-to to outer left. Pair of windows to outer right of level above; small window to left. Large 8-light mullioned and transomed stair window with stepped cill to centre above; small window to left. Shouldered gable set back above to centre of main body of church; window to centre.
Fixed multi-pane leaded windows (some with ventilation panels) to nave; mainly 2-pane timber sash and case windows to basement and elsewhere. Grey slate roofs with red ridge tiles (main ridge axes form cross above main body of church with octagonal base of former cupola or spirelet at centre); piended roofs to lower height ancillary section and (with terracotta finials) to rear of gabled dormers).
INTERIOR: original layout and fittings largely intact. U-plan gallery supported on cast-iron columns (some rising through gallery to support roof, with ornate foliate capitals at upper level). Boarded timber roof with timber rib vaults supported on ornamental stone corbels. Flanking columns with foliate capitals to chancel recess; outer moulding to arch with stops carved as dragons. Coloured glass borders/chequered patterning to nave windows. Original boarded timber pews throughout; diagonally-boarded timber panels to bracketed projecting front of gallery; clock to centre. Tiled vestibule with flanking stone staircases, one with cast-iron balustrade with timber handrail (one turnpike). Large organ with timber panelling to rear of chancel recess; probably installed circa 1930 with present (detached) timber pulpit.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Unusually planned Gothic Revival church with basement hall. Fine intact galleried interior.
Other nearby listed buildings