History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gardeners Street, Former Albany Works Office Building (Albany Business Centre), Including Gatepiers and Boundary Wall

A Category C Listed Building in Dunfermline, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.0747 / 56°4'28"N

Longitude: -3.4563 / 3°27'22"W

OS Eastings: 309447

OS Northings: 687833

OS Grid: NT094878

Mapcode National: GBR 1Y.P9GP

Mapcode Global: WH5QR.WK9X

Entry Name: Gardeners Street, Former Albany Works Office Building (Albany Business Centre), Including Gatepiers and Boundary Wall

Listing Date: 10 March 2000

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 394293

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46906

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Dunfermline

County: Fife

Electoral Ward: Dunfermline North

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Dunfermline

Description

James Shearer, 1907; refurbished late 20th century. 2-storey office block comprising symmetrical 7-bay main range flanked by pair of angled bays to N and S; that to N forming part of angled 4-bay wing. Free Edwardian design incorporating classical detailing; Doric doorcase with flanking attached columns to main entrance to principal (W) elevation; pediment-like gables with oculi at centre to paired angled bays flanking main range. Coursed stugged sandstone with droved ashlar dressings. Ashlar base course to principal elevation; eaves band throughout (moulded and corniced to principal and N elevations); flush lintel band to ground floor (and to 1st floor where eaves band raised or shallow) throughout. Architraved 1st floor windows to principal elevation; segmental-headed recessed inner surrounds to ground floor windows to principal and N elevations.

W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: main 7-bay range built at angles on corner site. Central entrance with moulded inner architrave and flanking attached Doric columns supporting entablature inscribed 'ALBANY WORKS'; 2-leaf panelled timber door. Tall window with lugged architrave above opens onto small balcony over doorcase entablature; simple cast-iron balustrade with cross-bracing with garlanded motif at centre; short flanking sections of parapet. 3 regularly fenestrated bays to either side; window to each floor to each bay; moulded cill band to each floor (that to ground floor adjoins base course. Gabled 2-bay sections (gables treated as broken-bed pediments; each with architraved oculus at centre) adjoin at angles to either side. Window to each bay to each floor; linked vertically by sunk panels with moulded surrounds; relieving arches to 1st floor windows. Slightly projecting bay adjoins to outer left; window to ground floor; lozenge-shaped panel to 1st floor. Narrow taller bay at angles to outer left; boundary wall adjoins at ground floor; 1st floor corbelled out slightly with window with recessed panel below; centred panel to eaves band; deep band above cornice.

N ELEVATION: 2 windows to ground floor.

E ELEVATION: Main range to left. Altered entrance with late 20th century glazed door set in glazed screen to left of centre. Small rendered addition (rising in 2 stages to half way up 1st floor) to left. Entrance to far right; boarded timber door and rectangular fanlight. Irregular fenestration. Angled wing adjoins to right; slightly projecting 3-bay section to centre.

S ELEVATION: blank re-faced gable end.

Grey slate roof; piended to N (including to slightly projecting 3-bay section to E elevation and corbelled 1st floor bay to W elevation. Replacement timber windows: 3-pane casements to ground floor; 16-pane fixed frame with top hoppers to 1st floor. 5 mid-pitch stacks (to either side of ridge); pair of wallhead stacks to N elevaiton; one to outer left of E elevation; all coped with band courses; round cans. Original cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: open-well staircase with cast-iron balustrade with timber handrail. Panelled timber room partitions with glazed upper panels (double glazing installed late 20th century) to 1st floor corridors. Part-glazed panelled reception area at top of staircase. Decorative leaded glass stair window.

GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALL: coursed stugged sandstone wall with ashlar coping adjoins N end of principal (W) elevation. Pair of coped square-plan gatepiers with ball finials to N; replacement gates.

Statement of Interest

The most intact surviving building of the former Albany Works linen factory. This was founded in 1874 by Walker, Reid and Company and extended 8 years later. It closed in 1936 and was reopened the following year for the manufacture of silk. Its manufacturing history came to an end in 1957 and in 1974 much of the works was destroyed by fire. Currently (1999) in use as a shared office complex.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.