This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0485 / 56°2'54"N
Longitude: -3.4577 / 3°27'27"W
OS Eastings: 309296
OS Northings: 684915
OS Grid: NT092849
Mapcode National: GBR 1Y.QWPJ
Mapcode Global: WH5QY.V7MH
Plus Code: 9C8R2GXR+9W
Entry Name: Off Grange Road to West, Wester Gellet Farmhouse, Including Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 10 March 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394298
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46909
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Dunfermline Central
Traditional County: Fife
Late 18th century with late 19th century alterations. 2-storey; 4-bay; rectangular-plan farmhouse with simplified Gibbs doorcase to entrance (N) elevation. Harled exterior with painted ashlar dressings. Quoins at angles of main block; coped gables. Architraved openings to main block.
N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: entrance with simplified Gibbs surround surmounted by pediment to left of centre; 9-panel timber door with rectangular fanlight. Window above and one to each floor to flanking bays (1 to left, 2 to right), including tall late 19th century round-arched stair window to right. Entrance to later single storey lean-to adjoining to left.
S ELEVATION: late 19th century full-height droved ashlar canted bay to outer left; mullioned 5-light window to each floor. Window to each floor to each of 2 bays to right. Window to later single storey lean-to set back slightly to right.
W ELEVATION: outer flanking windows to gable end to each floor (those to right are blocked, that to left of ground floor is taller). Traces of former pair of attic windows above.
E ELEVATION: window to right of gable end. Window to later projecting single storey lean-to.
Mainly 2-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof. Gablehead stack at either end of block and central ridge stack; all with band courses (2 with vertical margins); round cans.
INTERIOR: late 19th century dog-leg staircase with cast-iron balustrade. Damaged early sandstone fireplace surround to E of main block.
BOUNDARY WALL: rubble boundary wall, including more finely coursed section with rounded coping immediately to S of house.
A fairly substantial relatively early estate farmhouse (probably constructed for the estate of the Wellwood family, although it now belongs to that of Lord Elgin). An earlier settlement here may be that shown as 'E Gellet' on Blaeu's map of 1654 and 'E Gillot' on Ainslie's map of 1775 (the latter appears with the symbol for an important residence and the name of its proprietor, 'Robb Wellwood Esq'. What is shown as West Gellet on both of these maps appears to have been a separate settlement to the south west. In the earlier-mid 19th century the present Wester Gellet was known as 'Middle Gellet' (as identifiable on Sharp et. alls Map and the 1856 OS Map).
Other nearby listed buildings