History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Halbeath Road, Entrance Gateway to Dunfermline Cemetery, Including Cemetery Dividing Wall and Gateways to North West and Boundary Wall to Bellyeoman Road

A Category C Listed Building in Dunfermline, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.0775 / 56°4'38"N

Longitude: -3.4421 / 3°26'31"W

OS Eastings: 310338

OS Northings: 688122

OS Grid: NT103881

Mapcode National: GBR 1Z.P0N9

Mapcode Global: WH6RX.3H5S

Entry Name: Halbeath Road, Entrance Gateway to Dunfermline Cemetery, Including Cemetery Dividing Wall and Gateways to North West and Boundary Wall to Bellyeoman Road

Listing Date: 10 March 2000

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 394301

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46912

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Dunfermline

County: Fife

Electoral Ward: Dunfermline North

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Dunfermline

Description

Entrance gateway and gateways to internal wall probably 1908 together with cemetery lodge on Halbeath Road. Boundary wall to Bellyeoman Road and modified dividing wall probably 1863 for original cemetery. Gateways of rusticated sandstone ashlar; walls of coursed sandstone rubble with rounded coping.

ENTRANCE GATEWAY: pair of gatepiers with flanking outer gatepiers for narrower pedestrian entrances; all square-plan with rusticated bands; frieze at apex with cornice above; surmounted by moulded coping with concave band and ball finial. Decorative wrought-iron gates. Flanking coursed rockfaced sandstone wing walls of convex segmental plan; chamfered ashlar choping; stepped down at centre (to either side) where surmounted by wrought-iron railings (incorporating simple Art Nouveau motifs. Left wall adjoins cemetery lodge.

CEMETERY DIVIDING WALL AND GATEWAYS: wall runs N/S dividing older and new sections of cemetery. 2 gateways at intervals; each with pair of square-plan with rusticated bands; moulded apex surmounted by obelisk finial with band around base.

BOUNDARY WALL TO BELLYEOMAN ROAD: tall section of wall running E/W along Bellyeoman Road; plain entrance to E (near junction with Robertson Road.

Statement of Interest

Dunfermline Cemetery was created in 1863 and expanded in 1908, when the above gatepiers were erected. The adjacent lodge on Halbeath Road has not been included (partly on account of alterations). The original entrance and lodge of 1863 are still in existence on Leys Park Road.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.