This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.039 / 56°2'20"N
Longitude: -3.4212 / 3°25'16"W
OS Eastings: 311552
OS Northings: 683813
OS Grid: NT115838
Mapcode National: GBR 1Z.RKCR
Mapcode Global: WH6S3.FG3S
Entry Name: Queensferry Road, Rosyth Parish Church (Church of Scotland), Including Gatepiers and Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 10 March 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394329
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46945
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Rosyth
Traditional County: Fife
A H Mottram, 1930-31; with mid and later 20th century additions/church hall. Rectangular-plan nave with projecting pentagonal-sided miniature chancel to W and short lower-height wing to NW; wing extended and attached hall built (forming overall U-plan) 1954; hall extended to W 1968. Eclectic church with Palladian window above main entrance (E elevation); prominent slightly projecting square-plan corner tower (at SE angle) with ogee roof rising to octagonal belfry; buttressed nave. Harled with droved sandstone ashlar dressings. Moulded eaves course to original building; architraved openings. Round-arched windows with keystones and impost blocks to either side (N and S) of nave and W end.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: full-height projecting piended-roofed entrance bay with cavetto eaves cornice to centre. Steps up to central round-arched entrance with moulded architrave with keystone; flanking pilaster strips with carved emblems as capitals; that to left with Scottish shield inscribed 'FAITH'; that to right with boat and star inscribed 'HOPE'. 2-leaf panelled timber door with multi-pane fanlight set back. Mullioned and transomed sexpartite Palladian window with keystone above. Flanking windows set back to ground and upper levels. Tower set forward slightly to outer left.
TOWER: 2-stage with base course and moulded eaves course. Cill band to upper level. Window to each stage to each of outer (S and E) faces; lower one to S larger with pediment inscribed '1930'. Foundation stone to E inscribed 'To The Glory of God This Stone was Laid - 7th June 1930'. Octagonal cap supported on posts to belfry; surmounted by cross finial.
NAVE: 7-bay with ashlar-capped dividing buttresses. E bay of S elevation occupied by tower; W bay by entrance with lean-to porch built between 2 buttresses; 2-leaf panelled timber door. 2 W bays of N elevation occupied by short wing adjoining later hall.
W ELEVATION: ogee-roofed pentagonal-sided miniature chancel to centre; window to central and immediately flanking faces. Window set back to either side to main body of nave. Cross finial to gable above. Short wing adjoining later addition with hall set back to left.
Grey slate roofs. Multi-pane metal casements. Slightly projecting ventilator shaft to W of tower; short ashlar wallhead stack (no can) to W side of N wing. Organ brought from Kinross East Church 1982.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALL: main pair of gatepiers to E; square-plan; roughly coursed stugged sandstone with projecting band courses below rounded coping. Harled boundary wall with harled coping. 2 sets of minor gatepiers (one to E, one to S); square-plan with ridged coping; harled. Wrought-iron gates.
INTERIOR: open to roof with timber collar-beam truss incorporating king and queen post arrangement. Timber floor. Boarded timber dado. Entrance lobby at W end; flanking half-turn stone staircases up to small gallery; plain metal balustrades with timber handrails. Pair of part-glazed timber doors into nave from lobby. Moulded surround with flame at apex to central window to miniature chancel. Timber pulpit, communion table and prayer desk incorporating Romanesque detaling by Peter McGregor Chalmers (not original to this church). Plain timber pews.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. An attractive Neo-Georgian church built at the heart of the then new garden village development at Rosyth. The architect in charge of both the overall development and the design of the church was A H Mottram, a pupil of Raymond Unwin (who developed the concept of the garden city). He was also responsible for the church hall of 1954 (although its 1968 extension was undertaken by D White and Associates). The furniture by Peter MacGregor Chalmers was brought over from the former St Luke's Church in East Fettes Avenue in Comely Bank, Edinburgh, in 1983, when it ceased to function as a place of worship. St Luke's was built by MacGregor Chalmers in 1907-08.
Other nearby listed buildings