This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0606 / 56°3'38"N
Longitude: -3.4451 / 3°26'42"W
OS Eastings: 310114
OS Northings: 686245
OS Grid: NT101862
Mapcode National: GBR 1Z.Q00X
Mapcode Global: WH6RX.1XRR
Plus Code: 9C8R3H63+6X
Entry Name: Queensferry Road, Former St Leonard's Hill House, Including Entrance Gateway to South East
Listing Date: 10 March 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394330
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46946
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Dunfermline Central
Traditional County: Fife
Thought to have been built 1871; with later alterations; extended to N as student accommodation by John Fraser 1939-40; converted to flats 1998-99. 2-storey (roof converted to attic to N only); detached villa; comprising 4-bay; main block to S and slightly narrower wing set back to N. Italianate design with prominent Corinthian entrance portico and flanking 2-storey canted windows to principal (S) elevation. Finely coursed stugged sandstone with polished ashlar dressings and canted windows. Base course; band course above ground floor; eaves band incorporating raised panels (similar band courses below canted windows to principal and E elevations). Bracketed eaves cornice and balustraded parpaet (incorporating fielded panels) to roof to main block only; 1st floor cill course to principal and E elevations of main block. Rusticated quoins at arrises. Architraved openings (those to canted windows are elaborately moulded). Keystones to windows to principal and E elevations of main block; those to W elevation corniced with deep cills to ground floor; with bracketed cills to 1st floor. Deep cills to windows to ground floor of N wing; those to 1st floor corniced with bracketed cills.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: Corinthian entrance portico to slightly recessed pair of central bays; 2 pairs of columns on octagonal pedestals support balustraded entablature; matching pairs of Corinthian pilasters set back. Round-arched entrance with Doric pilasters to centre; 6-panel timber door and fanlight; narrow round- arched flanking windows with aprons and flanking Doric pilasters. Pair of windows with moulded architraves above. Flanking outer bays set forward; each with 2-storey canted window projection to centre; elaborately moulded architraves to mullioned tripartites to each floor; those at ground with attached columns with foliate capitals flanking each light.
E ELEVATION: single bay set back to left of main block; window to each floor. Projecting bay to right with 2-storey canted window projection to centre. 3-bay rear wing set back to outer right; window to each bay to each floor; that to centre of ground floor mullioned tripartite with segmental pediment to central light (right light converted to entrance to 1990's glazed porch); that to right of ground floor pedimented; small plain additional window to left of 1st floor; inserted double boxed dormer to right of attic.
W ELEVATION: 3-bay main block; window to each bay to each floor; flanking outer ones mullioned bipartites. 3-bay rear wing set back to outer left; window to each bay to each floor; those to 2 bays to right mullioned bipartites; that to centre of ground floor with block pediment; that to right converted to entrance to 1990's glazed porch; outer left bay rendered; inserted double and single boxed dormers to attic.
N ELEVATION: adjoins 3-storey 1939-40 extension (not included in listing), which forms extensive I-plan stretching out to E and W; coursed sandstone, partially rendered.
2-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof; piended to main block. 2 wallhead stacks to W (one to main block); 2 to rear of main block (adjoining N wing); 2 ridge stacks (one to main block, one to N wing); all corniced with friezes; mainly round cans.
INTERIOR: retains main elements of ground floor layout to main block. Inner vestibule to main entrance with tiled floor and tripartite round-arched screen. Double half-turn staircase with landings (cast-iron balustrade partially intact) to centre of entrance hall. Fine plaster ceiling incorporating Roman motifs to main ground floor room to W.
ENTRANCE GATEWAY: pair of chamfered square-plan sandstone ashlar gatepiers with base course and frieze; recessed panel to each face to main body/frieze; moulded cornice at base of stepped 2-tier swept octagonal pyramid coping. Identical slightly lower-height pier to pedestrian entrance to S and one at each end of flanking sections of decorative cast-iron railings (swept in plan, alternately convex - to S - and concave - to N). Decorative cast-iron gate to pedestrian entrance (those to main gateway missing).
A well built and finely detailed Italianate villa retaining a plaster ceiling of very high quality. It was built for Maria Beveridge, following the death of her husband, Erskine Beveridge, founder of the St Leonard's Works in Bothwell Street. Her son, Erskine Beveridge II, who also lived at St Leonard's Hill House, continued his father's work (together with his younger brother, Henry), expanding the works throughout the late 19th century.
Other nearby listed buildings