This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0688 / 56°4'7"N
Longitude: -3.4411 / 3°26'27"W
OS Eastings: 310380
OS Northings: 687151
OS Grid: NT103871
Mapcode National: GBR 1Z.PLWS
Mapcode Global: WH6RX.3QNG
Entry Name: Woodmill Road, Brucefield Manor Hotel
Listing Date: 10 March 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394338
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46954
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Dunfermline Central
Traditional County: Fife
1872; extended 1902 by H and J Philp; with later 20th century additions. 2-storey and attic; asymmetrical; detached original villa; short wing added to SE and former single storey outhouse range to N raised to 2 storeys (including flat-roofed section at NE junction between 2 main wings) early 20th century. Later 20th century single storey flat-roofed hotel additions to E and W. Eclectic design incorporating French and Italianate detailing; with 3-stage tower with piended pavilion roof to principal (S) elevation; attached columns and pilasters with foliate capitals to openings to principal elevation. Sandstone ashlar principal elevation; coursed stugged sandstone with ashlar dressings elsewhere to main block; single storey additions harled. Base course to main block; eaves band to 2-storey flat-roofed section to NE. Deep overhanging eaves to most of main block. Architraved windows (apart from to attic) to main block; mostly (apart from to N/flat-roofed section) with lintels angled at corners.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 4-bay. Architraved round-arched entrance at base of tower to 2nd bay from left; flanking attached columns with foliate capitals and carved foliage at base; decorative carving to arch; band course with circular motifs above surmounted by projecting cornice; serrated band course above capitals continues across deep reveal forming open porch; 2-leaf panelled timber door (incorporating circular panels at centre); fanlight. Window set back to each of upper 2 stages (of tower) above; that to 1st floor opens onto balcony formed over entrance; decorative cast-iron balustrade; bracketed projecting piended breaking-eaves dormer above; round-arched opening with recessed spandrels. Bracketed projecting parapet with decorative circular motifs to tower and early 20th century 2-bay section projecting to right; mullioned tripartite window to each floor to canted left bay and that to right; all with round-arched openings with moulded architraves angled at corners, apart from that to right of 1st floor, which has plain lintel angled at corners to each light; openings divided and flanked by pilasters with foliate capitals (attached columns to either side of central light to those to each floor of left bay), apart from to window to right of 1st floor; decorative frieze incorporating circular motif below projecting cills of 1st floor windows. Gabled bay to left of entrance; mullioned canted tripartite to ground and 1st floors; that to ground floor with round-arched openings with moulded architraves angled at corners; that to 1st floor with moulded lintel angled at corners and decorative cast-iron balustrade; openings divided and flanked by pilasters with foliate capitals (attached columns to either side of central light to that to 1st floor).
W ELEVATION: 3-bay. Slightly projecting gabled bay to centre; window with lintel angled at corners and bracketed cill to 1st floor; identical breaking eaves windows with gabled heads set back to flanking bays (that to left early 20th century when upper storey added to N). Round-arched window to ground floor to right bay; bipartite dormer with timber mullion to attic. Later 20th century projecting flat-roofed addition to occupies ground floor of central bay and that to left.
E ELEVATION: single bay of early 20th century wing set forward to outer left; projecting section to centre; small window to ground and 1st floors to left return. Gabled section set back to original block to right; pair of octagonal windows to 1st floor. Gable-headed breaking-eaves window with lintel angled at corners to right; piended bipartite dormer with timber mullion to attic above. 2-storey single bay flat-roofed section with mullioned bipartite adjoins to right. Ground floor obscured by later 20th century flat-roofed addition, apart from projecting bay to outer left (only partially obscured at ground floor level).
N ELEVATION: gabled bay (upper storey added early 20th century) to right; window with lintel angled at corners to 1st floor; 3 blocked openings (altered) to ground floor. 2-storey flat-roofed section (upper storey added early 20th century) adjoins to left; small window to right of 1st floor; tripartite window arrangement to ground floor (altered and window to right blocked). Gable set back above; dated '1872' on projecting stack to centre.
Mainly 2 and 4-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roofs. Wrought-iron finials remaining to 2 gables (S and E elevations); one to piended dormer to E; decorative wrought-iron brattishing to pavilion-roofed tower. 5 ashlar stacks with rounded edges and projecting coping to main block: flanking wallheads to tower; one to projecting section to E; gableheads to W and one to left of N elevation; coping serrated at edges to all apart from that to E; shouldered circular-plan wallhead stacks with band courses to either side of flat-roofed 2-storey section; round cans.
INTERIOR: retains some fine internal fittings. Inner vestibule at main entrance defined by pair of polished granite attached columns with foliate capitals surmounted by round arch. Elaborate cast-iron balustrade to staircase. Main 1st floor reception room (originally billiard room) to early 20th century SE wing; panelled timber dado and arched recess with contemporary fireplace with green tiled surround and timber mantelpiece; coloured leaded glass incorporating Art Nouveau motifs to upper window panes and small window looking onto staircase.
A High Victorian villa of eclectic design, sympathetically extended in the early 20th century. It incorporates some fine detailing, nobtably the decorative carving to the principal (S) elevation. Formerly known as Brucefield House, at the time of its extensions in 1902 it belonged to James Dick.
Other nearby listed buildings