This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8462 / 55°50'46"N
Longitude: -3.0513 / 3°3'4"W
OS Eastings: 334270
OS Northings: 661946
OS Grid: NT342619
Mapcode National: GBR 704V.64
Mapcode Global: WH7VD.3B81
Entry Name: Gorebridge, Hunterfield Road, Gorebridge Parish Church (Church of Scotland) Including Church Hall and Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 24 March 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394351
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46965
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Midlothian South
Traditional County: Midlothian
1837-1838, much altered by Hardy and Wright 1884-1885. Cruciform Gothic church with octagonal spire. Tooled and snecked sandstone to front elevation and SW elevation of transepts, sandstone rubble elsewhere.
SW (FRONT) ELEVATION: base course to central gable wall; string course to entire SW elevation. 3 central ground floor lancet windows; large tracery window above with hoodmould and floreate label stops. Small lancet ventilation slit in apex. Stair tower to right; arched moulded doorway with hoodmould and flanking buttresses. Steps with replacement treads to door. Recessed door with decorative iron hinges. Lancet window above; narrow niche in apex. Steeple to far left; moulded, pointed-arched doorway; hoodmould with carved leaf label stops; recessed, 2-leaf door; decorative iron hinges. Replacement steps to door; handrails. Clasping buttresses flank entrance. Trefoil lancet window above door; blocked rectangular openings in each steeple face; moulded lancets with timber louvres in each face of bell tower; surmounting weathervane.
NW ELEVATION: 2 tracery windows in transept; 2 tracery windows in nave elevation; 2 buttresses to nave; truncated tracery window to far right. Small modern addition to steeple and modern church hall extends from NW transept (not part of Statutory List).
NE ELEVATION: gable mostly obscured by church hall. Air vent in apex; rose window below.
SE ELEVATION: 2 tracery windows in transept gable; 2 tracery nave windows; 2 buttresses to nave; truncated tracery window to far left; single window below. Lancet window in stair tower; stone wall memorial to local surgeon John Symington below.
Chamfered surrounds to windows. Stone coping to gables; skewputts to all but NE gable; kneelered gable with stone finial to central SW gable; stone cross finial to stair tower gable. Slate roof, decorative clay ridge tiles; NE gable apex stack.
INTERIOR: dado timber panelling; walls painted white above. Single, arched timber doors to left and right in SW wall opening into vestibule; panelled gallery above supported on 2 cast-iron columns; 3 sets of timber pews; accessed by stone spiral staircase in stair tower. Boarded pine floor and carpet to nave; central aisle; timber pews to left and right; 2 steps to altar. Altar in NE wall; timber reredos in recessed arch behind altar; hoodmould with label stops to arch. Marble wall monument with celtic design to past minister, David Wilkie Wilson to right of altar. Original church pews to right and left in transept; panelled gallery above in each transept; timber staircase and pews; curved moulding with stone corbels above gallery. Open timber roof construction; scissor bracing; collar beams with angle struts supported on stone corbels.
CHURCH HALL: addition to rear of church; rubble sandstone; tooled surrounds to openings and quoins.
NW ELEVATION: single window.
NE ELEVATION: 3 windows; 8 fixed lights; single window to far left.
SE ELEVATION: catslide addition to SE gable; modern door; flanking windows.
Piended slate roof; lead ridges; raised central air vent.
INTERIOR: timber dado panelling.
BOUNDARY WALL: circa 1959. Sandstone rubble wall; chamfered stone coping to front; rounded coping stones elsewhere. Cast-iron entrance gates to SW; steps lead to church; cast-iron gates to SE.
Former Stobhill Church, built 1837-1838, extended and reconstructed 1884-1885 by Hardy and Wright, incorporating the original church into the present transept. It became Gorebridge Parish Church in 1975 and is a prominent landmark. Modern hall to N is not part of the Statutory List. The central pews came from another church and were recently installed, prior to this there had been no central aisle.
Other nearby listed buildings