This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8845 / 55°53'4"N
Longitude: -3.0711 / 3°4'15"W
OS Eastings: 333095
OS Northings: 666220
OS Grid: NT330662
Mapcode National: GBR 60ZD.XF
Mapcode Global: WH6T1.SCR7
Entry Name: Newbattle, Newbattle Road, Newbattle Graveyard Including Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 24 March 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394355
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46970
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Midlothian East
Traditional County: Midlothian
Graveyard with enclosing rectangular sandstone rubble boundary walls with rough and rounded stone coping and flat wall-heads. Tall square sandstone gatepiers and cast-iron gates with floral decoration. Contains numerous 17th, 18th and early 19th century gravestones, finest being tablestone for Walter Welsh and family, dated 1705 and carved with cherubs, swags, fruit, bones and skulls. Other monuments of particular interest include:
Mural monument to John Duncan, weaver, 1607, with roll-moulded arch, initials T B and I D and carved shuttles with threads and stretchers.
Mural monument in SW corner wall to Mary and Martha of Bethany, 1620, with curved alcove flanked by fluted pilasters. Heraldic shield has fallen from top and now lies in front of monument (1999).
Mural monument in SE corner wall dated 1623 and initialled RW, DM and TW MP. Pilasters with spades and shovels flanking carved skulls, crossbones and hourglass.
Mural tablet in SW wall dated 1629 and initialled TH, HL.
Mural monument on W wall to Frances Murray, 1641, relation of the 1st Earl of Lothian; pilasters crowned with a head and skull with flanking carved strapwork panels. Carved skull and crossbones below.
Mural monument in S corner wall, 1682 to James Chirnside. Classical memorial with pilasters and scrolls flanking the epitaph. Cartouche and skull in pediment, and row of mortuary emblems below epitaph.
Mural monument in SE corner wall, 1708. Pilasters frame the monument with central recumbent figure. Shield held by 2 putti; surmounted by carved skull and crossbones.
Mural monument in SE corner wall, 1724 and initialled TW, ES. Classical memorial with 2 flanking pilasters, cherub head with wings above eroded epitaph, date and shield in pediment and row of mortuary emblems below at base.
Mural monument in NW corner wall, 1728 to Robert Wilson and James Aitchison. Classical memorial with ribbed pilasters and scrolls.
Headstone to William Douglas, miner, 1741, carved with picks, shovel, crossbones and cherub head. Reverse is dedicated to Robert Allan, miner, 1754 with a putto holding a book and flower.
Headstone to Robert Wilson, blacksmith, 1742 carved with Ionic pillars with drapes, skulls, hammer, hourglasses and a crown and also carved on reverse with epitaph.
Large mural monument in SE corner wall to Watsons of Esperston, 1802, columned and pedimented.
Undated (possibly C18th) headstone for Ronald Bell with Ionic columns, drapes and ornate pediment with skull, scrolls and a hip bone.
This is the graveyard for the Parish Church which is situated further South and originally for the former church which stood across the road, now the site of the Lothian Burial Ground.
Other nearby listed buildings