This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6613 / 55°39'40"N
Longitude: -3.7321 / 3°43'55"W
OS Eastings: 291132
OS Northings: 642228
OS Grid: NS911422
Mapcode National: GBR 22CZ.TD
Mapcode Global: WH5SK.NY1T
Entry Name: Hyndford Road at A70, Winston Barracks, Guardhouse and Museum, Including Gates, Gatepiers and Railings
Listing Date: 21 March 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394366
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46979
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Clydesdale North
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Probably the War Office, 1936-1939. 2-storey, 5-bay Guardhouse with single storey wings to N and S, single storey museum to E. Coursed red brick with brick dressings. Base course; projecting cills; eaves course; overhanging eaves.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; 5-bay with single bay wings advanced to left and right; loggia to ground floor with regular fenestration and glazed timber doors behind; regular fenestration to 1st floor; 3 light windows to wings, 2-leaf glazed timber doors to inside returns.
N ELEVATION: single storey wing obscuring ground floor; 4 windows to left, boarded timber door to right, 2 small windows below eaves of right return. Windows to 1st floor of centre block obscured by roof of wing.
E ELEVATION: symmetrical; 5-bay; ground floor obscured by flat-roofed museum (part of guardhouse), 3-storey central block advanced, timber architraved doorway to centre, panelled timber door with letterbox fanlight, small barred windows flanking to left and right; flanking blocks to left and right recessed and stepped down, boarded timber doors to outside returns; single storey wings adjoining to outer left and right (see above and below). Regular fenestration to 1st floor of central block.
S ELEVATION: single storey wing obscuring ground floor; 5 regularly placed windows, 2 to left are barred; 2-leaf boarded timber door to left return.
GATES AND RAILINGS: simple 2-leaf iron gates flanked by decorative iron gatepiers to W; simple iron railings flanking.
B-Group with Accommodation Block, Sergeants' Mess, Officers' Mess. Winston Barracks were built to accommodate the Depot of the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles). Although the barrack buildings were completed by 1939, it was not until 1946 that the Regimental Headquarters were established to the E of Lanark, the Unit being called the No 26 Primary Training Centre and Depot, the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles). The Cameronians were named after Richard Cameron, one of the most notable Covenanters. They were formed in 1689, under the leadership of the Earl of Angus. In 1881 the Cameronians amalgamated with the 90th Perthshire Light Infantry (formed in 1794) and became the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles). Since 1795 the Cameronians Depot had been at Hamilton, however the buildings were in poor condition and the site was suffering from subsidence. In the second half of the 1930's the War Office bought a 44 acre site to the E of Lanark. The new buildings were to "embody all the latest devices of permanent construction" (The Covenanter, May 1937, p7) and the cost was estimated to be ?150,000. In 1948 the Primary Training Centre at Winston Barracks was disbanded. In 1961 the Cameronians were joined by the Royal Highland Fusiliers, in 1964 they moved away from Lanark, and by 1968 the Cameronians had been disbanded. The barracks themselves were of the Sandhurst Type, which was approved by the Royal Fine Arts Commission. The aim of the design and layout was to improve the comfort and health of the men. One of the most important features of these forward-looking barracks was their setting. The grounds were spacious, the married quarters having private gardens and a children's playground, there was also a central parade ground and sports fields. The Guardhouse and Museum, lie at the westernmost point of the barracks. The combination of red brick and rosemary tiled roofs, like the Sergeant's Mess, looks to the Queen Anne style for inspiration. Of particular note is the open loggia to the ground floor of the W elevation.
Other nearby listed buildings