History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hyndford Road at A70, Winston Barracks, Officers' Mess

A Category C Listed Building in Lanark, South Lanarkshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.6634 / 55°39'48"N

Longitude: -3.7297 / 3°43'47"W

OS Eastings: 291284

OS Northings: 642456

OS Grid: NS912424

Mapcode National: GBR 22DY.9N

Mapcode Global: WH5SK.PX47

Entry Name: Hyndford Road at A70, Winston Barracks, Officers' Mess

Listing Date: 21 March 2000

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 394368

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46981

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Lanark

County: South Lanarkshire

Electoral Ward: Clydesdale North

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Lanark

Description

Probably the War Office, 1936-1939. 2-storey, 5-bay Queen Anne style Officers' Mess with squash court adjoining to SW. Yellow-brown brick with painted architraved dressings. Projecting cills; overhanging eaves.

W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; 5-bay; open pedimented porch on square-columns to centre of ground floor, round-arched doorway with glazed panelled timber door; regular fenestration to flanking bays to left, single

window and bipartite window to flanking bays to right, near-regular fenestration to 1st floor; wing advanced to outer right with squash court to W, glazed 11-pane skylight, tripartite windows to left return, regular fenestration to ground and 1st floor of 2-bay block to left.

S ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 5-bay; window to centre of ground floor, flanked by irregular fenestration to left and right; tripartite window to centre of 1st floor, single window to outer right, tripartite and small window to outer left; gabled squash court advanced to outer left, single storey flat-roofed block to re-entrant angle to right, doorway to right return.

E ELEVATION: not seen 2000.

N ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 2-bay with single storey flat-roofed bay to outer left, 3 windows to ground floor, window to left of 1st floor.

Predominantly 6-pane and 9-pane timber sash and case windows. Piended yellow-brown concrete pantiled roof. Coped brick wallhead and ridge stacks with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: simple detailing and mouldings.

Statement of Interest

B-Group with Accommodation Block, Sergeants' Mess, Guardhouse and Museum. Winston Barracks were built to accommodate the Depot of the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles). Although the barrack buildings were completed by 1939, it was not until1946 that the Regimental Headquarters were established to the E of Lanark, the Unit being called the No 26 Primary Training Centre and Depot, the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles). The Cameronians were named after Richard Cameron, one of the most notable Covenanters. They were formed in 1689, under the leadership of the Earl of Angus. In 1881 the Cameronians amalgamated with the 90th Perthshire Light Infantry (formed in1794) and became the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles). Since 1795 the Cameronians Depot had been at Hamilton, however the buildings were in poor condition and the site was suffering from subsidence. In the second half of the 1930's the War Office bought a 44 acre site to the E of Lanark. The new buildings were to "embody all the latest devices of permanent construction" (The Covenanter, May 1937, p7) and the cost was estimated to be ?150,000. In 1948 the Primary Training Centre at Winston Barracks was disbanded. In1961 the Cameronians were joined by the Royal Highland Fusiliers, in 1964 they moved away from Lanark, and by 1968 the Cameronians had been disbanded. The barracks themselves were of the Sandhurst Type. which

was approved by the Royal Fine Arts Commission. The aim of the design and layout was to improve the comfort and health of the men. One of the most important features of these forward-looking barracks was their setting. The grounds were spacious, the married quarters having private gardens and a children's playground, there was also a central parade ground and sports fields. The Officers' Mess lies to the N of the site, overlooking the sports fields. It is larger and more Queen Anne classical in style than the Sergeants' Mess, although the interior is relatively simple. There is a squash court adjoining to the SW.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.