History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Auchincruive Estate, Hanging Garden

A Category B Listed Building in Ayr, South Ayrshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.4778 / 55°28'40"N

Longitude: -4.5521 / 4°33'7"W

OS Eastings: 238806

OS Northings: 623406

OS Grid: NS388234

Mapcode National: GBR 3D.WXZP

Mapcode Global: WH3QW.1KMZ

Entry Name: Auchincruive Estate, Hanging Garden

Listing Date: 29 March 2000

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 394384

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47000

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Ayr

County: South Ayrshire

Electoral Ward: Kyle

Parish: Ayr

Traditional County: Ayrshire

Find accommodation in
Annbank Station

Description

Circa 1840. 3-tier shallow terraced hanging garden facing E to river Ayr. Coped sandstone rubble walls swept down to S, regularly spaced semi-circular-plan buttresses to each terrace, angular buttresses to swept down wall to S. Decorative terracotta edging tiles; cast-iron railings along upper terrace; steps to walls at N.

Statement of Interest

A-Group with East Lodge, Gibbsyard, Ice House, Oswald Hall, Oswald's Temple, Walled Garden, West Lodge and Wilson Hall (see separate listings). The Auchincruive Estate was owned by the Wallace family in the 13th century. There were a variety of owners until the 18th century when James Murray of Broughton sold it to Richard Oswald, entrepreneur and merchant, in 1764. The estate remained in the Oswald family until 1925, when they sold it to a local farmer John M Hannah, who gifted it to the West of Scotland Agricultural College in 1927, under whose ownership it remains (1999). The original formal landscape at Auchincruive dates from the 18th century, however this is now vastly reduced and was remodelled circa 1830. The highly unusual hanging gardens make good use of the steeply sloping sides of the Ayr valley. A narrow walkway runs between the river and the walls of the garden. According to the Inventory (p157) a painting of 1870 shows the gardens planted with orange and red coloured flowers, which is reflected in the current planting.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.