History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Auchincruive Estate, Wilson Hall

A Category C Listed Building in Ayr, South Ayrshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.4797 / 55°28'46"N

Longitude: -4.5638 / 4°33'49"W

OS Eastings: 238069

OS Northings: 623641

OS Grid: NS380236

Mapcode National: GBR 3D.WTV5

Mapcode Global: WH3QV.VJXK

Entry Name: Auchincruive Estate, Wilson Hall

Listing Date: 29 March 2000

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 394386

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47006

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Ayr

County: South Ayrshire

Electoral Ward: Kyle

Traditional County: Ayrshire

Find accommodation in
Annbank Station

Description

D S McPhail, 1955-56. 2-storey and attic, X-plan Scots 17th century style hall of residence. Harled with artificial stone dressings. Base course; raised margins; strip quoins; windows to attic floor breaking eaves with cat-slide or gableted roofs; eaves course; predominantly crowstepped gables.

NW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: symmetrical; 7-bay entrance block, curvilinear gabled, slightly advanced entrance bay to centre, pilastered doorway with concave outer angles surmounted by balcony with iron railings dated "1955", 2-leaf panelled timber door; 2-leaf casement window to balcony at 1st floor above, window to centre of attic floor, arrowslit opening set in gablehead; regular fenestration to 3 flanking bays to left and right, curvilinear gableted window to centre of attic floor, flanked to left and right by windows with catslide roofs. 4-bay wings at shallow angle to entrance block at left and right, regular fenestration to ground and 1st floors, windows with catslide roof to centre 2 bays of attic, flanked by pedimented windows to left and right.

SW ELEVATION: symmetrical; 9-bay; engaged canted stair tower with candle-snuffer roof to centre bay, 4-pane window to ground floor, windows between floors above; 2 3-bay blocks angled to left and right of centre, regular fenestration to ground and 1st floors, catslide roofs to centre windows of attic flanked to left and right by pointed-arched gableted windows; blank shallow outer returns leading to recessed bays to left and right, regular fenestration. 2-bay gabled left and right returns, window flanked by bipartite window to ground floor of each, irregular fenestration to 1st floor, broad bipartite windows with geometric ornament over to 1st floor, arrowslit opening set in gablehead, flagpole to gable to right.

SE ELEVATION: symmetrical; 7-bay centre block; single window to ground, 1st and attic floors of centre bay, curvilinear gablet to attic window, flanked to left and right by bipartite windows and single windows; advanced gabled bays to penultimate bays to left and right, window to each floor and to right and left returns; bipartite windows to each floor at outer left and right. 4-bay wings to left and right at shallow angle to centre block; pair of doors to bay to inner bays at ground floor, regular fenestration to remaining bays at ground and 1st floors; pointed-arched gablets to centre 2 windows of attic floor, flanked to left and right by windows with catslide roofs.

NE ELEVATION: symmetrical; 9-bay; engaged canted stair tower with candle-snuffer roof to centre bay, 4-pane window to ground floor, windows between floors above; 2 3-bay blocks angled to left and right of centre, regular fenestration to ground and 1st floors, catslide roofs to centre windows of attic flanked to left and right by pointed-arched gableted windows; blank shallow outer returns leading to recessed bays to left and right, regular fenestration. 2-bay gabled left and right returns, window flanked by bipartite window to ground floor of each, irregular fenestration to 1st floor, broad bipartite windows to 1st floor, arrowslit opening set in gablehead.

Predominantly 12-pane and 20-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof with lead ridge and ventilators. Coped skews. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: not seen 1999.

Statement of Interest

A-Group with East Lodge, Gibbsyard, Hanging Garden, Ice House, Oswald Hall, Oswald's Temple, Walled Garden and West Lodge (see separate listings). The Auchincruive Estate was owned by the Wallace family in the 13th century. There were a variety of owners until the 18th century when James Murray of Broughton sold it to Richard Oswald, entrepreneur and merchant, in 1764. The estate remained in the Oswald family until 1925, when they sold it to a local farmer John M Hannah, who gifted it to the West of Scotland Agricultural College in 1927, under whose ownership it remains (1999). Wilson Hall was built as a hall of residence for the West of Scotland Agricultural College, by DS McPhail, the Department of Agriculture architect. Although relatively late in date, the design looks back to the Scots 17th cenutry style of Robert Lorimer, seen most clearly in the curvilinear gables, variety of gableted windows breaking the eaves and the traditional harled walls. This ties in well with the nearby Gibbsyard, the remodelling of which, in 1931, also led to the addition of details used by Lorimer (see separate listing). The X-plan cleverly maximises the light into the halls.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.