History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Brickrow Farm, Including Farmhouse and Ancillary Structure

A Category C Listed Building in Ayr, South Ayrshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.4833 / 55°28'59"N

Longitude: -4.5566 / 4°33'23"W

OS Eastings: 238539

OS Northings: 624020

OS Grid: NS385240

Mapcode National: GBR 3D.WP6R

Mapcode Global: WH3QV.ZFBT

Entry Name: Brickrow Farm, Including Farmhouse and Ancillary Structure

Listing Date: 29 March 2000

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 394387

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47007

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Ayr

County: South Ayrshire

Electoral Ward: Kyle

Traditional County: Ayrshire

Find accommodation in
Annbank Station

Description

Mid 19th century. Single storey and attic, 3-bay farmhouse with single storey wings; ancillary structures adjoining to rear forming small courtyard; curved ancillary structure to N. Whitewashed coursed red brick with painted margins; sandstone rubble ancillary structures with ashlar dressings. Projecting cills.

S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; 3-bay house, boarded and glazed timber door to centre, with delicate segmental-arched cast-iron porch over, single window to left and right; 2-pane skylight to centre of attic floor, flanked by 2 canted dormers. Single storey wings to left and right, Venetian window with blind centre pane to wing to right, flanked by small 4-pane window, skylight to attic; faux Venetian window to wing to left, blind round-arched window to centre, flanked by painted brick side lights.

E ELEVATION: asymmetrical; whitewashed; variety of glazing patterns, sliding boarded timber door to right; skylights to attic.

N ELEVATION: opening to centre of 2 blocks leading to small courtyard (not seen 1999); single door to block to left; window to block to right, flanked to outer right by corrugated-iron wall with door and window openings.

W ELEVATION: obscured by corrugated addition, skylight to attic floor, adjoining outbuilding to outer left, blank.

Variety of timber-framed windows. Graded grey slate roof, piended to wings, with lead ridges. Coped gablehead stacks with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: not seen 1999.

ANCILLARY STRUCTURE: harled rubble outbuilding to N of farmhouse, of curved plan. Piended grey slate roof with lead ridges and skylights.

Statement of Interest

Brickrow Farm is part of the Auchincruive Estate. The Auchincruive Estate was owned by the Wallace family in the 13th century. There were a variety of owners until the 18th century when James Murray of Broughton sold it to Richard Oswald, entrepreneur and merchant, in 1764. The estate remained in the Oswald family until 1925, when they sold it to a local farmer John M Hannah, who gifted it to the West of Scotland Agricultural College in 1927, under whose ownership it remains (1999). Brickrow Farmhouse is essentially a traditional croft, aggrandised by 2 tiny classical wings with Venetian windows. Of note also is the unusual curved outbuilding to the N.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.