This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9447 / 55°56'40"N
Longitude: -3.1958 / 3°11'44"W
OS Eastings: 325411
OS Northings: 673048
OS Grid: NT254730
Mapcode National: GBR 8NJ.4H
Mapcode Global: WH6SL.WVC3
Entry Name: 3-11 (Odd Nos) Archibald Place, with Boundary Wall and Railings
Listing Date: 23 March 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394401
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47024
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: City Centre
Traditional County: Midlothian
Circa 1820. 4-storey and basement 7-bay tenement block. Channelled polished ashlar to ground, droved ashlar with polished dressings above (droved to basement). Dividing band between basement and ground and between ground and 1st floors; cill courses to 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors; eaves cornice. Corniced moulded surrounds to 1st floor windows. Timber panelled doors with sunburst fanlights in alternate round- and flat-headed surrounds. Stone steps and platts over-arching basement areas. Pilaster strip to S end (see Notes). S elevation harled.
12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Corniced stack at gable end with circular cans.
BOUNDARY WALL AND RAILINGS: spear-headed railings mounted on low ashlar-coped walls to basement areas and steps.
B group comprises Nos 21-37 Lauriston Place, 1-3 Lauriston Terrace and 1-11 Archibald Place, which were restored (including removal of shops) in 1992 by the Lister Housing Co-operative, and opened by Ronnie Browne, 6th November 1992. The land on which these streets were built is marked on Ainslie's map of 1801 as 'Mr Archibald's Property,' and on Kirkwood's 1817 map as 'Mr Archibald's Property and Brewery.' Patrick Wilson, architect, is mentioned in Sasines in connection with plans for Archibald Place. It is not clear, however, whether these are for the present No 37 Lauriston Place, or for Archibald place itself. Archibald Place formerly extended further S, and focussed on the bowed front of the former Merchant Maiden Hospital (built in 1818, demolished to make way for the Florence Nightingale Nurses' Home). The 'pilaster strip' at the S end of the W elevation is the vestige of the next block.
Other nearby listed buildings