This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.0764 / 57°4'35"N
Longitude: -2.7807 / 2°46'50"W
OS Eastings: 352766
OS Northings: 798649
OS Grid: NO527986
Mapcode National: GBR WR.87VD
Mapcode Global: WH7NJ.8D2H
Entry Name: Aboyne, Ballater Road, War Memorial Buildings, Including Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 30 March 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394440
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47055
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Aboyne and Glen Tanar
Electoral Ward: Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Late 19th century; alterations 1921. 2-storey, 3-bay war memorial buildings with 2-bay wing to NE. Tooled, coursed pink granite with grey dressings finely finished margins. Base course; chamfered reveals; stepped band courses; eaves cornice; long and short quoins.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; round-arched chamfered loggia to 3 bays of ground floor, tooled shield to keystone and tympanum of each; tooled grey granite plaque above reading "WAR MEMORIAL BUILDINGS"; gableted tripartite window breaking eaves to centre of 1st floor, carved stone finial to apex. 2-bay wing adjoining to outer left, bipartite window to left, gabled bay to right with window to ground and 1st floor.
NE ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 2-storey, part-gabled bay to left with modern panelled timber door to ground floor and window to 1st floor; lean-to single storey bays to right with irregularly placed openings.
NW ELEVATION: not seen 1998.
SW ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 7-bay; 2 lean-to additions to ground floor; bay to outer left advanced with large infilled opening flanked to left by small window, tripartite window to right of ground floor, flanked to outer right by canted window with plaque below reading "THIS STONE WAS LAID BY MARGARET LOTHIAN BARONESS GLENTANAR, 7TH MAY 1921" and decorative traceried windows with stained glass; bipartite window to 1st floor of gabled bay to outer right.
Predominantly 2-pane and 4-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof with lead ridge. Stone skews, coped to SE elevation. Coped wallhead and gablehead stack with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: large hall with decorative open timber roof, gallery facing stage; some original doors, mouldings and light fittings; timber staircase with decorative timber balusters.
BOUNDARY WALL: granite rubble wall flanking principal elevation to left and right, with rough-faced coping.
On the site of the old court house, the unusually grand war memorial buildings survive largely intact. The stained glass in the canted bay on the SW elevation is of fine quality. The tooled shields on the SE elevation bear a variety of national emblems including a thistle and a rose.
Other nearby listed buildings