This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.0762 / 57°4'34"N
Longitude: -2.7772 / 2°46'37"W
OS Eastings: 352982
OS Northings: 798626
OS Grid: NO529986
Mapcode National: GBR WR.88MW
Mapcode Global: WH7NJ.9DSM
Entry Name: Aboyne, Station Square, Former Station Buildings
Listing Date: 30 March 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394456
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47073
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Aboyne and Glen Tanar
Electoral Ward: Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside
Parish: Aboyne And Glen Tanar
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
1896. Single storey, 15-bay, rectangular-plan former station. Tooled coursed granite with finely finished margins. Base course; rounded projecting cills to N elevation; segmental-arched openings to S elevation; eaves course; stone label stops originally from cast-iron canopy survive to S.
N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; centre 4 bays slightly advanced and stepped up, modern glazed timber door with vertical panels to left and right, flanked to right by tripartite window and to left by 2 tripartite windows, surmounted by slate canopy on decorative cast-iron brackets; irregular door and window openings to flanking bays to left and right, symmetrically placed gable with blind oeil-de-beouf opening in gablehead to left and right; round angle turret rising from square base to bays to outer left and outer right with decorative eaves cornice, fishscale roof and weathervane; inscribed plaque to outer right.
W ELEVATION: asymmetrical; single bay; window in infilled doorway to centre, surmounted by blank shield, angle turret to outer left.
S ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; irregularly placed door and window openings. Canopy no longer in place.
E ELEVATION: not seen 1998.
Predominantly timber windows with decorative geometric astragals to upper panels. Piended grey slate roof with pierced terracotta ridge. Corniced granite wallhead and ridge stacks with circular cans. Cast-iron hoppers, plastic gutters and aluminium downpipes.
Coutts described "the handsome new granite buildings" of Aboyne Station as the "finest on Deeside, Aberdeen alone excepted" (p54). According the plaque on the N wall of the station buildings the extension of the Deeside railway from Banchory to Aboyne was completed on the 2nd of December 1859. It ceased to be the terminus when it was extended to Ballater in 1866, when the original station building was built. The line to Ballater was a single line with 2 intermediate stations, at Dinnet and Cambus O'May, and was timed to take between 21 and 25 minutes. The Deeside and the Aboyne and Braemar lines were amalgamated with the Great North of Scotland Railway on the 13th of July 1876, after which the current station building was built. The railway closed in 1966, and what remains of the station buildings are currently shops (1998).
Other nearby listed buildings