This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.0504 / 57°3'1"N
Longitude: -2.7013 / 2°42'4"W
OS Eastings: 357550
OS Northings: 795698
OS Grid: NO575956
Mapcode National: GBR WV.9TGN
Mapcode Global: WH7NR.G1WX
Entry Name: Ballogie Policies, Gamekeepers Bothy and Kennels
Listing Date: 30 March 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394488
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47100
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Banchory and Mid Deeside
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Walker & Beattie, 1884. Single bay, single storey and attic bothy with pair of 3-bay single storey kennels flanking. Harl-pointed coursed granite rubble with long and short dressings. Long and short quoins; overhanging eaves; boarded timber doors; 2-pane fanlights.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; gabled bay of bothy advanced to centre, window flanked by 2 vertical windows to ground floor, bipartite window set in gablehead of attic floor. 3-bay, gambrel-roofed, kennels flanking to left and right; window to centre flanked to each side by door; skylights to attic; round-ended double run advanced to outer left and right, low cement faced wall with pointed coping, surmounted by looped cast-iron railings, gate to each run.
E ELEVATION: asymmetrical; bothy walls blank, with kennels advanced to right, single boarded opening to centre, roof swept down to outer right.
N ELEVATION: asymmetrical; gabled bothy bay to centre, boarded timber door with 2-pane fanlight, flanked to right by window at ground floor, window set in gablehead of attic floor, 2-bay kennel flanking to right with 2 boarded timber openings; kennel flanking to left, blank bay to left with skylight, door to right return.
W ELEVATION: blank.
Predominantly 6-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof with tiled ridge. Coped granite ridge stack with octagonal cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
The Ballogie Estate was, in 1650, called Tillysnaught, and belonged to the Roses of Kilravock. It then passed to the Forbes family, followed by the Innes family and their relatives the Farquharsons. When the Innes family of Ballogie and Balnacraig died out the Farquharsons took on their name, becoming Farquharson-Innes. In 1850 the estate was sold to Mr James Dyce Nicol, a former MP for Kincardineshire. He was described as "a progressive landowner, spending large sums of money on his properties". The bothy and kennels, with original runs and railings survive in use as such.
Other nearby listed buildings