This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.022 / 57°1'19"N
Longitude: -2.6515 / 2°39'5"W
OS Eastings: 360541
OS Northings: 792509
OS Grid: NO605925
Mapcode National: GBR WX.CL5V
Mapcode Global: WH8PX.7RMQ
Entry Name: Finzean, Birse & Feughside Parish Church at Finzean (Church of Scotland)
Listing Date: 30 March 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394495
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47107
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Banchory and Mid Deeside
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Dated 1863. Single storey, near-symmetrical, rectangular-plan church with 1934 vestry to E. Harled with finely finished margins; pointed-arched openings; boarded doors.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: near symmetrical; 5-bay; gabled porch advanced to centre bay, 2-leaf door with simple hoodmould, decorative ironwork finial to apex, small windows to left and right returns; regular fenestration to flanking bays to left and right; granite war memorial on wall between 2 bays to left.
E ELEVATION: symmetrical; gabled; large window to centre flanked by 2 smaller windows; decorative ironwork finial to apex. 1934 vestry advanced to centre at ground, gabled left return with 3 windows and flat-arched door to left; right return blank with coped stack to gablehead.
N ELEVATION: blank.
W ELEVATION: symmetrical; 2 regularly spaced windows; tooled granite datestone set in gablehead with the Finzean Farquharsons monogram and the date "1863"; sandstone bellcote to apex, bell and bell-pull still in place.
Predominantly decorative stained glass windows with protective plate-glass outer pane. Graded grey slate roof with intricate cast-iron cresting. Coped stone skews with simple skewputts. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: wagon roof with exposed beams; reeded timber lining below dado; simple timber pews (replacements) and pulpit; decorative carved gothic communion table. 2-leaf glazed and panelled timber door to E leading to vestry.
The church at Finzean was erected by Francis Farquharson, laird of Finzean as a mission church in 1863, and served the family in the SE corner of Birse Parish. In 1903 Finzean Church became quoad sacra. The four stained glass windows on the S wall bear the Finzean Farquharson crest and the inscription "In memoriam Majoram", while the 2 stained glass windows to the W commemorate members of the Farquharson family. The church survives largely unaltered with the exception of the later addition of the vestry to the E.
Other nearby listed buildings