This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.0213 / 57°1'16"N
Longitude: -2.6623 / 2°39'44"W
OS Eastings: 359884
OS Northings: 792433
OS Grid: NO598924
Mapcode National: GBR WW.CPSR
Mapcode Global: WH8PX.2SH9
Entry Name: Finzean Policies, South Lodge
Listing Date: 30 March 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394500
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47112
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Banchory and Mid Deeside
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Dated 1858. Single storey and attic, 2-bay, rectangular-plan lodge with ornamental porch. Harled with finely finished granite margins. Base course; projecting cills; overhanging eaves with timber bargeboards.
NE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; window to bay to left; former 2-leaf panelled timber door with letterbox fanlight to ground floor of bay to right; gabled attic bay to left oversailing doorway to form porch, supported on timber barley-sugar columns with pierces timber railings to left and right, timber oriel window set in gable.
NW ELEVATION: asymmetrical; single gabled bay; tooled shield to centre with Finzean Farquharsons monogram and dated "1858"; window set in gable at attic floor. Single storey addition adjoining to outer right with 2 modern windows.
SW ELEVATION: ground floor obscured by gabled single storey addition, regular fenestration; single window set in gablehead.
SE ELEVATION: asymmetrical; gabled bay to right with 2-light window to ground floor, armorial shield between ground and attic floor bearing Lion Rampant and fir trees; window set in gablehead.
Replacement PVCu windows. Graded grey slate roof with tiled ridge. Coped harled ridge stack with decorative cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
Finzean, meaning "the fair place" (3rd SA, p418) was originally an ecclesiastical parish within Birse Parish, but is now part of Birse. In 1609 the lands of Finzean were acquired by the Farquharson family, who had previously been the proprietors of Tilygarmond, on the estate. The original mansion house (much of which was burnt down in 1954) was built in 1686. The South Lodge is one of the more unusual buildings on the estate, the porch being particularly interesting. The monogram on the NW wall, which can also be seen at Birse and Feughside Parish Church at Finzean (see separate listing), appears to be that of the eighth laird, Dr Francis Farquharson of Finzean, hence the 3 "F's", who died in 1876.
Other nearby listed buildings