History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Finzean Policies, Walled Garden Including Ancillary Structure

A Category C Listed Building in Birse, Aberdeenshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.0298 / 57°1'47"N

Longitude: -2.6744 / 2°40'27"W

OS Eastings: 359159

OS Northings: 793390

OS Grid: NO591933

Mapcode National: GBR WW.C157

Mapcode Global: WH7NR.WKMQ

Entry Name: Finzean Policies, Walled Garden Including Ancillary Structure

Listing Date: 30 March 2000

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 394501

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47113

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Birse

County: Aberdeenshire

Electoral Ward: Banchory and Mid Deeside

Traditional County: Aberdeenshire

Find accommodation in
Finzean

Description

Late 19th century. Near rectangular-plan, gently terraced, walled garden. Rubble walls with rubble coping swept down to south. Square-plan granite gatepiers with spherical finials in quadrant walls with cast-iron 2-leaf gate to S; square-plan granite gatepiers, spherical finials missing, with simple cast-iron gates to centre of E wall, flanked to left by doorway with panelled and boarded timber gate; cast-iron gate to centre of W wall; N walls adjoining Finzean house (not listed) with slatted timber gate to E. Vertically boarded timber ancillary structure backing on E wall at S; cottage orne style with decorative timber barge boards, glazed oriel windows, timber hoodmould to boarded timber door; purple-grey slate roof with lead ridge; corniced red brick wallhead stack to rear.

Statement of Interest

Finzean, meaning "the fair place" (3rd SA, p418) was originally an ecclesiastical parish within Birse Parish, but is now part of Birse. In 1609 the lands of Finzean were acquired by the Farquharson family who had previously been the proprietors of Tilygarmond, on the estate. The original mansion house (much of which was burnt down in 1954) was built in 1686, and has since been almost completely replaced by the existing structure. The large walled garden survives almost completely intact, with the cottage orne ancillary structure.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.