This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.0037 / 57°0'13"N
Longitude: -2.7706 / 2°46'14"W
OS Eastings: 353287
OS Northings: 790546
OS Grid: NO532905
Mapcode National: GBR WR.DXRC
Mapcode Global: WH7NX.D7W7
Plus Code: 9C9V263H+FP
Entry Name: Forest of Birse, Birse and Feughside Parish Church (Church of Scotland)
Listing Date: 30 March 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394502
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47114
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Banchory and Mid Deeside
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
1891. Single storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan plain gothic church. Aberdeen bond coursed granite rubble with tooled dressings. Pointed-arched openings.
SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; gabled porch advanced to bay to right, 2-leaf boarded timber door with decorative hinges reached by 3 stone steps, iron finial to apex; window to centre bay and bay to left.
NE ELEVATION: gabled; tall central window flanked by 2 slightly smaller windows; finial to apex.
NW ELEVATION: blank.
SW ELEVATION: simple rose window to centre.
Predominantly rectangular-pane leaded and stained glass windows. Grey slate roof with tiled ridge. Stone skews with blocked skewputts. Coped gablehead stack with octagonal can to SW gable. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: small porch leading to rectangular-plan nave; boarded timber below dado; boarded timber roof, timber trusses with moulded timber drip stones; boarded timber pews with decorative ends.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. The Forest of Birse Chapel is served by the same minister as the churches at Finzean, Strachan and Birse. The Birse Parish School Board built the church, which also served as a school. The present church replaces a church built in 1790 for the Society for the Propagation of Christian Knowledge, supported by 2 local heritors. The current building ceased to be a school in 1933, when there were only 3 pupils. The adjoining school teacher's house (now a ruin) was abandoned in 1896, with the teachers thereafter living at the nearby farm of Ballochan.
Other nearby listed buildings