This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.0571 / 57°3'25"N
Longitude: -2.7056 / 2°42'20"W
OS Eastings: 357299
OS Northings: 796447
OS Grid: NO572964
Mapcode National: GBR WV.9DB3
Mapcode Global: WH7NK.DWVB
Entry Name: Muir Cottage
Listing Date: 30 March 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394505
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47117
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Banchory and Mid Deeside
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Late 18th century. Single storey and attic, 3-bay, L-plan cottage with later additions and alterations. Harled. Base course.
SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Gableted, boarded timber porch advanced to centre of ground floor with decorative barge boards, panelled timber door flanked by 2 small windows; window to flanking bay to left and right. 2 bipartite, gableted timber dormers with decorative barge boards to left and right of attic floor.
SE ELEVATION: asymmetrical; gabled; window off-centre to right of ground floor.
NE ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 3-bay; window to centre, flanking bay to left blank; gabled bay advanced to right, glazed timber door flanked by window left return, small window to right return.
NW ELEVATION: gabled, asymmetrical; window off-centre to left of ground floor.
Predominantly 6-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof with tiled ridge. Stone skews with blocked skewputts. Corniced granite ashlar gablehead stacks with octagonal cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
Muir Cottage lies just to the N of Marywell, the principal village on the Ballogie Estate. Marywell was originally the main market focus in Birse Parish until it was moved to Potarch in 1814. Following this most of the houses were replaced in the mid 19th century. Muir Cottage appears to be earlier than the cottages in Marywell, however it seems likely that the dormer windows and porch were added in the mid 19th century by way of improvement. The timber porch, which makes this cottage quite different from any of the others on the estate, is almost identical to that at Balnacraig (see separate listing in Aboyne & Glen Tanar Parish), a former small mansion house which was became part of the Ballogie Estate in 1852, suggesting that the porch and dormers were built sometime after that.
Other nearby listed buildings