This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.0556 / 57°3'20"N
Longitude: -2.6993 / 2°41'57"W
OS Eastings: 357679
OS Northings: 796274
OS Grid: NO576962
Mapcode National: GBR WV.9FQQ
Mapcode Global: WH7NK.HXVH
Entry Name: Muir Croft, Including Ancillary Structure
Listing Date: 30 March 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394506
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47118
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Banchory and Mid Deeside
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Late 18th century. Single storey and attic, 3-bay croft with 19th century alterations, L-plan steading to rear. Coursed granite rubble with long and short dressings.
SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: symmetrical; boarded timber door to centre of ground floor with letterbox fanlight, flanked to left and right by window; 2-pane skylight to centre of attic floor, flanked to left and right by canted piend-roofed dormer.
SE ELEVATION: gabled; blank.
NE ELEVATION: asymmetrical; boarded timber door near-centre to left with glazed panel; window flanking to right.
NW ELEVATION: gabled; blank.
9-pane and 4-pane timber sash and case windows. Graded grey slate roof with tiled ridge. Coped granite gablehead stacks with circular and octagonal cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
ANCILLARY STRUCTURES AND SOUTER'S SHOP: L-plan granite steading with slate and corrugated iron roof to rear of croft, boarded timber doors, skylights to roofs; timber hay hecks survive in NW block.
Rectangular-plan, vertically boarded timber Souter's Shop to S of house, built circa 1897; granite rubble base; large decorative timber framed window set in gabled SW elevation, boarded timber door with 2-pane flanlight flanked by window to NW elevation, irregular fenestration to remainder.
B-Group with Souter's Shop (see separate listing). Muir Croft lies just to the N of Marywell, the principal village on the Ballogie Estate. Marywell was originally the main market focus in Birse Parish until it was moved to Potarch in 1814. Following this most of the houses were replaced in the mid 19th century. Muir Croft appears to be much earlier than the cottages in Marywell, however it seems likely that the dormer windows were added in the mid 19th century by way of improvement.
Other nearby listed buildings