History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lochnell Street, the Comm Public House

A Category C Listed Building in Mid Argyll, Argyll and Bute

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.0366 / 56°2'11"N

Longitude: -5.4325 / 5°25'57"W

OS Eastings: 186261

OS Northings: 687949

OS Grid: NR862879

Mapcode National: GBR DDZR.LCD

Mapcode Global: WH0JB.JJ9M

Entry Name: Lochnell Street, the Comm Public House

Listing Date: 4 May 2000

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 394515

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47130

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Lochgilphead

County: Argyll and Bute

Town: Lochgilphead

Electoral Ward: Mid Argyll

Traditional County: Argyllshire

Find accommodation in
Lochgilphead

Description

Probably early 19th century in origin; refurbished 1945-46 with later alterations. 3-storey, 2-bay block forming part of terrace with public house at ground. Painted render. Base course; corniced shopfront with fluted pilasters to outer left and right and dividing bays.

SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: public house at ground with single window off-set to left of centre; larger windows flanking; timber panelled door to outer right. Single windows at

NE (REAR) ELEVATION: not seen 1999.

Modern windows to front; rooflights. Grey sate roof. Corniced sandstone ridge stacks; various cans.

INTERIOR: public house comprising corridor to right with timber panelled dado; multi-pane doors. Public Bar with timber panelled dado; curved timber bar with fluted pilasters and console-bracketed top; mirrored display selves behind with back-lit panels above; brick-built fireplace with brick canopy; mirror above; enclosed dart board to left; timber benches abutting walls. Smoke Room with timber panelled dado; small, stepped fire surround with mirror above; timber benches abutting walls; original tables. Lounge at rear with timber panelled dado; large, brick-built fireplace with brick canopy. Timber benches lining walls with curvilinear partitions between;

original tables. Sliding timber door to male toilets with plaque inscribed 'Gents Lavatory - Slide it Chum'; original handle.

Statement of Interest

A relatively plain 3-storey block, listed primarily because of its well-detailed public house (still in use as such 1999). Refurbished in 1945-46, the quality of this detailing, the majority of which remains intact, is unusually high - the bar, dado panelling and back-lit panels being particularly good.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.