This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.4598 / 55°27'35"N
Longitude: -4.6291 / 4°37'44"W
OS Eastings: 233864
OS Northings: 621578
OS Grid: NS338215
Mapcode National: GBR 39.Y4RK
Mapcode Global: WH2PW.V1V9
Entry Name: 22-28 (Even Nos) Alloway Street
Listing Date: 29 March 1999
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394525
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47136
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Ayr West
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Allan Stevenson, 1910. 3-storey, 5-bay section of department store (see Notes). Polished red ashlar. Marble shop fascia; eaves course; cornice; balustrade (round-arched balusters). Pilasters divide bays, rising to form corniced dies within balustrade (scroll moulding to outer bays); decorative composite capitals.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: central recessed entrance at ground floor; 4 glazed doors; shop windows flanking; recessed 2-leaf timber door to outer left. Canted central bay; iron plaques above 1st and 2nd floor windows (dated 1910 above 2nd floor window); rises to form scrolled key-blocked pediment; iron-railed niche to tympanum; decorative block-pediment above. Regular fenestration of tripartite windows at 1st floor, 2 casement windows at 2nd floor to 2 flanking bays; scrolled brackets to iron balconies at 2nd floor.
Shop windows at ground floor; single-paned windows at upper floors. Roof (unseen); corniced gablehead stack; circular cans.
INTERIOR: not seen 1998.
With the adjacent 30 Alloway Street designed by architect Allan Stevenson in 1895 (see separate list description) this prominent block provides the main focal point in Alloway Street, which separates the High Street from Burns Statue Square. Both blocks share a continuous eaves course, cornice and balustrade. The earlier 30 Alloway Street is noticeable for its use of heavy castellated detail and canted window openings, both common in late 19th century work. 22-28 Alloway Street displays the lighter work of the early 20th century, with its iron balconies and plaques, along with the highly decorative composite capitals. Interior remodelled by Stevenson and Ferguson, 1956.
Other nearby listed buildings