This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.0965 / 57°5'47"N
Longitude: -2.2648 / 2°15'53"W
OS Eastings: 384051
OS Northings: 800648
OS Grid: NJ840006
Mapcode National: GBR XG.8XVV
Mapcode Global: WH9QV.5WRL
Entry Name: North Deeside Road at Craigton Crescent, Peterculter Parish Church (Church of Scotland), Including Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 9 June 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394646
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47267
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Lower Deeside
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
1895; late 20th century additions and alterations. Single storey, 5-bay church with engaged square-plan tower to NW. Tooled coursed grey granite, Aberdeen bond to N, E and W, finely finished to margins. Rough-faced base course; projecting cills; round-arched openings; contrasting light grey long and short dressings; roll-moulded reveals and hoodmoulds with decorative drip stones to S elevation.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; gabled; finely finished granite doorway to centre of ground floor, advanced with elaborate architrave battered at base, 2-leaf
boarded timber door reached by 4 stone steps, long strapwork hinges; windows flanking doorway to left and, inset circular panel of polished pink granite above each, that to left reading "1843", that to right reading "1894". Decorative rose window with hoodmould centred in gablehead above doorway; stone finial to apex. Window to each of slightly recessed outer bays of aisles.
E ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 7-bay; 5 buttressed bays to left, small window to bay to outer left, regular fenestration to remainder; 2 gabled bays to outer right, window to each bay.
N ELEVATION: not seen 1999.
W ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 7-bay; 5 buttressed bays to right, small window to bay to outer right, regular fenestration to remainder. Engaged square-plan
3-stage tower to flanking bay to left, ground floor of 1st stage obscured by modern addition, round arched former doorway to right return, now glazed, windows centred to 2nd stage with hoodmould to S, louvred bipartite windows to 2nd stage, crenellated parapet on corbel stones, pyramidal roof, weathervane to apex. Flanking bays to outer right not seen 2000.
Predominantly rectangular-pane coloured leaded glass with inset decorative panels. Grey slate roof with lead ridges and regularly placed cast-iron ventilators. Coped stone skews with decorative skewputts. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 2000.
BOUNDARY WALLS: granite rubble boundary walls with pointed coping.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such 2000. Peterculter Parish Church was originally built as a Free Church, the Parish Church being that of St Peter nearby (see separate listing). The building is simple, but well detailed. The stained glass is of particular note.
Other nearby listed buildings