History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dreghorn Loan, Laverock Dale Cottage

A Category C Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9024 / 55°54'8"N

Longitude: -3.25 / 3°15'0"W

OS Eastings: 321939

OS Northings: 668408

OS Grid: NT219684

Mapcode National: GBR 50R5.5Z

Mapcode Global: WH6SS.1XM0

Entry Name: Dreghorn Loan, Laverock Dale Cottage

Listing Date: 24 July 2000

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 394652

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47283

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: Colinton/Fairmilehead

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Colinton

Description

Late 18th century with later additions. Single-storey 4-bay gabled cottage with scrolled skewputts, cross-finialed dormer-head window and canted bay to NE. Harled with polished red sandstone ashlar dressings to door and canted bay; droved sandstone to dormer-head window. Eaves course to right of door. Long and short quoins to NE gable.

SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: roll-moulded doorway; single window to right; transomed crowstepped dormer-head window breaking eaves to left with cross finial and curled skewputts; single window to left. 20th century harled addition to outer left with plain doorway to SW return.

NE ELEVATION: central 3-light canted window with moulded cill and eaves course.

NW ELEVATION: not accessible 2002.

Windows boarded up 2002. Coped ridge stacks with clay cans. Ashlar coped skews with scrolled skewputts. Graded grey slate with tiled ridge. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

Statement of Interest

An unusual cottage near Laverockdale House (but never part of the Laverockdale curtilage). This area was originally known as Bleachfield, and a building is shown at this site on Laurie's map of 1763. The area is still shown as Bleachfield on Hunter and Anderson's 1834 map, but the New Statistical account mentions that the skinnery had closed, and the name had changed to Laverock dale. It is therefore inferred that a skinnery or tanner's formerly stood on this site, and is possibly the building shown on the maps. Laverock Dale cottage was, until recently, the property of the MOD. It is therefore probable that the site was part of the Dreghorn estate, which was sold to the army in 1893. The large meadow to the S of the Bonaly Burn was formerly a Polo field. Dreghorn Loan is an old Drove Road, and footpaths still lead up to the Pentlands from here.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.