This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9024 / 55°54'8"N
Longitude: -3.25 / 3°15'0"W
OS Eastings: 321939
OS Northings: 668408
OS Grid: NT219684
Mapcode National: GBR 50R5.5Z
Mapcode Global: WH6SS.1XM0
Plus Code: 9C7RWP2X+XX
Entry Name: Dreghorn Loan, Laverock Dale Cottage
Listing Date: 24 July 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394652
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47283
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Colinton/Fairmilehead
Traditional County: Midlothian
Late 18th century with later additions. Single-storey 4-bay gabled cottage with scrolled skewputts, cross-finialed dormer-head window and canted bay to NE. Harled with polished red sandstone ashlar dressings to door and canted bay; droved sandstone to dormer-head window. Eaves course to right of door. Long and short quoins to NE gable.
SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: roll-moulded doorway; single window to right; transomed crowstepped dormer-head window breaking eaves to left with cross finial and curled skewputts; single window to left. 20th century harled addition to outer left with plain doorway to SW return.
NE ELEVATION: central 3-light canted window with moulded cill and eaves course.
NW ELEVATION: not accessible 2002.
Windows boarded up 2002. Coped ridge stacks with clay cans. Ashlar coped skews with scrolled skewputts. Graded grey slate with tiled ridge. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
An unusual cottage near Laverockdale House (but never part of the Laverockdale curtilage). This area was originally known as Bleachfield, and a building is shown at this site on Laurie's map of 1763. The area is still shown as Bleachfield on Hunter and Anderson's 1834 map, but the New Statistical account mentions that the skinnery had closed, and the name had changed to Laverock dale. It is therefore inferred that a skinnery or tanner's formerly stood on this site, and is possibly the building shown on the maps. Laverock Dale cottage was, until recently, the property of the MOD. It is therefore probable that the site was part of the Dreghorn estate, which was sold to the army in 1893. The large meadow to the S of the Bonaly Burn was formerly a Polo field. Dreghorn Loan is an old Drove Road, and footpaths still lead up to the Pentlands from here.
Other nearby listed buildings