This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9796 / 55°58'46"N
Longitude: -3.3004 / 3°18'1"W
OS Eastings: 318949
OS Northings: 677055
OS Grid: NT189770
Mapcode National: GBR 24.W8GQ
Mapcode Global: WH6SC.8YLV
Entry Name: 7, 8, 9, 16 and 17 Cramond Village
Listing Date: 14 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394653
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47284
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Almond
Traditional County: Midlothian
Circa 1780 - 90; recast and converted by Ian Lindsay & Partners, 1959 - 61. 4 plain vernacular 2 storey houses forming terrace stepped down towards sea. Predominantly 3-bay; No 9: 4-bay with single pend entry to ground in bay to outer right. Rectangular-plan; near-symmetrical disposition of openings. Whitewashed harl; continuous eaves course; painted surrounds to openings; boarded timber doors; plain surrounds at rear with projecting cills.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: single doors to each property centred at ground (single door off-set to left of centre No 9); regularly fenestrated at both floors in remaining bays.
W (REAR) ELEVATION: sloping whitewashed rubble wall divides Nos 7 and 8 from remainder. Single doors at ground in central bays; single windows a-symmetrically disposed at ground and 1st floors; some painted surrounds, remainder plain with projecting cills.
12-pane timber sash and case windows to both elevations. Machine-made red pantile roofs with raised skews. Harled apex stacks to each property; precast concrete copes; circular cans; single harled ridge stack to centre No 9; concrete cope; single terracotta can.
INTERIORS: not seen 1996.
Cramond A Group. Part of an industrial community built for workers in the mills on the River Almond, Nos 7 - 17 played a key role in the Cramond restoration project carried out by Ian Lindsay & Partners between 1959 and 1961 (commissioned by Edinburgh Corporation). As can be seen at Newhaven (a scheme executed by Lindsay & Partners a decade later), the precedents set here were highly influential. Note the whitewashed harl, machine-made red pantiles and timber sash and case windows - features common to both projects. Despite an element of standardisation and complete internal conversion, the vernacular of the Scottish fishing/industrial village has been retained and the original character preserved (compare with Cross Wynd, Falkland or St Monance, Fife - both of which were recorded by Lindsay). His work at Cramond is acknowledged as an early and relatively successful attempt to restore the architectural core of a village in decline.
Other nearby listed buildings