This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7857 / 55°47'8"N
Longitude: -3.9174 / 3°55'2"W
OS Eastings: 279860
OS Northings: 656378
OS Grid: NS798563
Mapcode National: GBR 112J.PT
Mapcode Global: WH4QR.STSY
Entry Name: Wishaw, 9-35 (Odd Nos) Banchory Road, the Coach House
Listing Date: 24 October 1978
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394697
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47346
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Motherwell and Wishaw
County: North Lanarkshire
Town: Motherwell And Wishaw
Electoral Ward: Murdostoun
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Mid 19th century. Single storey, 7-bay square-plan, courtyard stable block with 2-storey chamfered square corner pavilions to rear; polished ashlar sandstone. Base course, moulded eaves course below plain blocking course, rolled hood moulding to openings.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical, 7-bay. Regular fenestration with entrance archway to centre, canted corner bays. Tudor arch gateway with parapet and block pediment and flanking arrow slits to centre.
W (REAR) ELEVATION: symmetrical, 7 bays. 3 small windows to centre bay flanked by paired large timber mullioned and transomed windows; 2-storey corner pavilions, narrow rectangular windows except single square window to centre ground.
N (SIDE) ELEVATION: 7 bays, irregular fenestration; Tudor arch door with rolled moulding to reveal and steps to outer right at immediate left of 2-storey pavilion.
S (SIDE) ELEVATION: 7 bays, irregular fenestration, 2-storey bay to far left.
Modern stained timber sash and case windows (lying pane). Grey slate piended roofs, lead flashing; cast-iron rainwater goods with square hoppers. Velux rooflights
COURTYARD: symmetrical, 5-bay. Tudor-arch carriage entrance with shouldered pediment to centre bay, flanking swept shouldered parapets; regularly articulated rectangular windows and carriage entrances.
INTERIOR: not seen 2000.
The Coltness Estate was bought by wealthy Yorkshire mill owners the Houldsworths in 1836 who hoped to move into the coal and iron industries. They carried out an extensive improvement programme between 1850 and 1870 (both architectural and agricultural). Hyslop's 1856 map of the estate shows the original Jacobean Coltness House with pencil lines marked on illustrating the Houldsworths' planned improvements to the house (which included a new 200ft long picture gallery), the landscaping, the onion-domed hot houses, the extant Tudor stable block and lodges, the mills and Mains Farm. All but a few of these buildings were demolished with the house in the 1970s.
Other nearby listed buildings