This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.3378 / 56°20'15"N
Longitude: -3.2817 / 3°16'54"W
OS Eastings: 320857
OS Northings: 716892
OS Grid: NO208168
Mapcode National: GBR 25.4LPB
Mapcode Global: WH6QM.KYHS
Entry Name: Upper Greenside, Ancillary Building
Listing Date: 1 September 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394704
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47353
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Almond and Earn
Traditional County: Perthshire
Possibly 16th century in origin. Tall single storey (formerly 2-storey), 2-part building (former laird's house and chapel?) with brick-vaulted ceiling and pointed arch ecclesiastical style E window. Random rubble with red sandstone dressings, some droved.
N ELEVATION: taller bay to left with door off-centre right at ground and tall window (door?) to left at 1st floor with small square blinded opening to right, further door in broader bay to right, all openings timber-blocked unless stated.
E ELEVATION: gabled elevation with rubble dividing band and tall pointed arch window at 1st floor,
block finial at gablehead (possibly base of former finial?).
S ELEVATION: broader bay to left with square window (altered from door) off-centre right at ground and tiny square opening to left. Slightly recessed bay to right of centre with square window to 1st floor left and small square window to right, evidence of almost full-height gabled building to outer right.
W ELEVATION: altered gabled elevation with large sliding door to left and projecting stone in gablehead.
Fixed glass bricks in windows to S and E. Corrugated plastic roofing. Coped ashlar stack with ashlar coped skews an d block skewputts to E and centre, concrete skews to W.
INTERIOR: E part with tall pointed brick-vaulted ceiling (keel-shape); E elevation of dividing wall with part droved sandstone lintel to fireplace
opening at ground left and doorway to right; 1st floor with sandstone lintel and uprights to fireplace off-centre right and narrow doorway to left.
This ancillary building presents a challenge of interpretation with its ecclesiastical references. "Dr Jamieson refers to vestiges of streets and buildings" which Davidson has no doubt are "the foundations of houses which formerly stood in the field, now part of the farm of Greenside, and opposite the road leading to Ferryfield. This small group of houses or clachan is marked on Ainsle's map of the counties of Fife and Kinross published 1775, and is called Newton". Further reference to Greenside appears in The Chronicle as "lands of over and west polgaigny (Pitgrunzie?) now Greenside with yr. pertinents set to John Wemyes bor.yr.(sic) to Patrick Wemyes". In 1585 Patrick Wemyes "removed from Dunbarney (Fasti)". In the early years of the 17th century "the third part of the manor house and lands of Pitgrugnie (Pitgrunzie)" were occupied by Rob Fynnistoun .