This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 57.6506 / 57°39'1"N
Longitude: -3.316 / 3°18'57"W
OS Eastings: 321556
OS Northings: 863055
OS Grid: NJ215630
Mapcode National: GBR L85H.PQK
Mapcode Global: WH6J7.1Y7W
Entry Name: Elgin Town Hall, Including Former Water Feature and Flagpoles
Listing Date: 6 November 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394740
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47391
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Elgin City South
Traditional County: Morayshire
William Kininmonth of Rowand Anderson, Kininmonth & Paul, 1957-61; extended Anderson, Kininmonth & Paul, 1975. Rectilinear Modernist town hall, articulated as interlocking blocks. Reinforced concrete frame; pre-cast aggregate facing panels over brick walls.
N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; central block with lower recessed wings. Steps up to 3 boarded 2-leaf doors, set between broad windows. 1st floor projecting on columns; 5 large windows with original signage below.
E ELEVATION: 4 windows to both floors to right. 2 doorways to left.
W ELEVATION: various additions to backstage area.
S ELEVATION: 5 large windows to both floors.
Geometric timber windows. Flat roof.
INTERIOR: central timber-lined hall with projecting balconies and canopies, and raked gallery to rear; low stage with angled acoustic board above; original lighting fixtures. Entrance hall containing sculpted stone from previous town hall; timber-lined telephone kiosk; original signage to telephone and toilets; stairs up to supper room and balconies; glass globe lighting fixtures.
FORMER WATER FEATURE AND FLAGPOLES: set to NE of Town Hall; wall bearing town crest flanked by angels; brick troughs and planters. 2 flagpoles.
Designed by one of Scotland's foremost 20th century architects, William Hardie Kininmonth, who was knighted for his services to architecture in 1972. Kininmonth trained with Sir Edwin Lutyens, worked closely with Basil Spence, and became Senior Partner in the firm of Rowand Anderson, Kininmonth & Paul. The old town hall (MacKenzie & Matthews, 1884) in Moray Street was destroyed by fire in 1939. The new town hall was built to hold a capacity of 1000 people, and the supper room 300 people. The rooms and spaces are designed to flow into one another. Large north-facing windows give a bright and airy character to the entrance hall and supper room, minimising the transition from the qualities of light and space outside the building. The hall itself is finely finished in boarded timber. Balconies and parapets produce a carefully controlled effect of solid and void, and light and dark. The contractors were Halls of Aberdeen. Two studies of the building were shown at the 1963 Royal Scottish Academy Exhibition.
Other nearby listed buildings