This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7721 / 55°46'19"N
Longitude: -3.9223 / 3°55'20"W
OS Eastings: 279509
OS Northings: 654867
OS Grid: NS795548
Mapcode National: GBR 111P.MP
Mapcode Global: WH4QY.Q5FW
Plus Code: 9C7RQ3CH+R3
Entry Name: Wishaw, West Thornlie Street, Thornlie Parish Church, Church of Scotland Former United Free Church Including Hall Gates and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 19 December 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394851
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47505
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Motherwell and Wishaw
County: North Lanarkshire
Town: Motherwell And Wishaw
Electoral Ward: Wishaw
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
CHURCH: David Thomson, 1876. Gothic church on corner site, cruciform-plan, gabled, square 3-stage tower with broach spire to SE corner and round 2-stage tower set-back from SW corner, gabled porch. Squared yellow sandstone coursers with ashlar margins; base course, gallery-height string course, set-back buttresses with sawtooth coping, predominantly lancet openings with hoodmoulds.
SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: stone steps to gabled porch with kneelers to centre, double-chamfered pointed entrance arch, engaged supporting columns with stiff-leaf capitals, hoodmoulds with mask stops, quatrefoil to crossgable, crocketted stone finial to apex of gable; small trefoiled lancets to flanking bays; large 5-light window with geometric tracery to crossgable, cross finial.
TOWER: square tower to right; staggered small plain cusped lancets to 1st stage; window to 2nd stage with elongated gablet hoodmould below paired small cusped windows with oversized hoodmould, cill course; 5-light pointed arch stone-mullioned opening to belfry with cill course, corbelled cornice; octagonal broach spire with gabled lucarnes. Squat round tower to left angle; double chamfered lancet arch door to SW, 4 regularly fenestrated cusped lancets to 2nd stage, continuous hoodmould cill course, corbelled cornice, conical roof.
NE (REAR) ELEVATION: squared and snecked rubble; large quadripartite window to centre, geometric flatwork, stone mullions.
SE (SIDE) ELEVATION: advanced gabled transept, 3 plain lancets to ground; large hood moulded plate tracery window of paired bipartites and multifoil, quatrefoil to cross gable. Regularly fenestrated bays to nave except tower to far left; 3 trefoiled lancets to ground left, 2 to gallery; bipartite trefoiled window to ground right, single to gallery, door to tower.
NW (SIDE) ELEVATION: mirror to SE except no hoodmould to large transept window and squared and snecked rubble.
Leaded glass, stained glass to chancel. Graded grey slates, decorative ridge tiles, sawtooth stone coping to skews, cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: galleried interior, segmental-arched barrel-vaulted nave, quadripartite vaulting to aisles, moulded springers and capitals. Flanking stairs to gallery in narthex.
CHURCH HALL: James Cowie, 1899. Squared and snecked sandstone coursers; large gabled hall to right, abutted to rear of church facing Caledonian Road; slightly advanced entrance porch to centre, roll-moulded chamfered reveal; kneelered skew putt, trefoil to cross, blind quatrefoil to apex, hood moulded, crossgable with stepped blind lancets. Interlocking gabled bay to left; bipartite plate traceried window; connecting passage to church with door to left.
Leaded glass. Grey slates, lead ridges, sawtooth stone coping to skews; cast-iron rain water goods.
BOUNDARY WALL: tooled, squared and snecked sandstone, saddleback coping, gabled stone gatepiers, non-original decorative cast-iron railings and decorative gates.
Ecclesiastical building still in use as such. David Thomson was based at 29 Vincent Place, Glasgow. Present church replaced the 1822 United Presbyterian Meeting House on the same site.
Other nearby listed buildings