This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.7024 / 56°42'8"N
Longitude: -3.7308 / 3°43'50"W
OS Eastings: 294121
OS Northings: 758076
OS Grid: NN941580
Mapcode National: GBR KC40.CR6
Mapcode Global: WH5MJ.NSMS
Entry Name: 26 Atholl Road, Public Library and Council Offices, Former Union Bank, with Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 20 December 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394857
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47511
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Highland
Traditional County: Perthshire
Circa 1860, altered possibly by Peddie & Kinnear, 1890. 2-part, comprised of former bank manager's house and bank, 2-storey, 3-bay, L-plan, gabled library and office building with crenellated porch and decorative finials; lower wing to NE. Squared and snecked rubble with ashlar dressings, some stugged. Stop-chamfered doorways giving basket-arch effect. Stone mullions and chamfered arrises. All gables and dormerheads finialled.
SW (ATHOLL ROAD, FORMER BANK HOUSE) ELEVATION: ground floor centre bay with tripartite window in large flat-roofed crenellated porch, door with plate glass fanlight on return to left and arrowslit in convex re-entrant angle beyond adjoining similar door and adjacent tripartite in bay to left, all under continued crenellation; 2 windows on return to left and further tripartite window to recessed face of bay to right. 1st floor with decorative timber hoodmould over small window in broad gabled bay to centre and windows in flanking bays each breaking eaves into dormerhead, further window on return to left. Lower set-back service bay to outer left with canted tripartite window at ground giving way to single window in gablehead flanked by decorative timber braces at canted sides.
SE (FORMER BANK) ELEVATION: asymmetrical elevation with variety of elements including dominant advanced gabled bay to right of centre with 6-light window to each floor (outer lights canted), moulded datestone in gablehead and flanking decorative timber braces at canted angles; ground floor of return to left with large window retaining leaded coloured glass to upper light, lower set back wing to outer left and altered lower recessed bay to right of centre.
NW ELEVATION: gabled bay to right of centre with full-height projecting chimney stack at centre and small window to left. Lower piended bay to left with single window.
NE ELEVATION: irregular elevation with variety of elements including advanced wing to left of centre and altered bays to recessed face at right.
Modern windows with multi-pane horizontal-style glazing patterns and plate glass glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks with cans. Deeply overhanging bracketted eaves with decorative finials.
INTERIOR: plain and decorative cornicing, panelled shutters. Replacement timber-panelled staircase with ball-finialled newels. Principal 1st floor room to SE with slightly coombed decorative plasterwork frieze and honeycomb ceiling; carved timber chimneypiece with mirrored overmantel, flanking architraved display cupboards and pilastered doorpiece, all broken pedimented.
BOUNDARY WALLS: coped rubble boundary walls.
Formerly the Union Bank of Scotland, this building became Perth and Kinross District Council offices after local authority reorganisation in 1974. The Public Library moved here in 1981. The car park, situated to the SE, once boasted fine formal gardens.
Other nearby listed buildings