This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.4827 / 56°28'57"N
Longitude: -3.0693 / 3°4'9"W
OS Eastings: 334243
OS Northings: 732797
OS Grid: NO342327
Mapcode National: GBR VH.5JZF
Mapcode Global: WH6Q4.TBM4
Entry Name: Royal Dundee Liff Hospital, Greystanes House
Listing Date: 16 January 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394923
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47568
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Liff and Benvie
Electoral Ward: Lochee
Parish: Liff And Benvie
Traditional County: Angus
Charles Edward and T S Robertson, 1877-1882, dated 1800. Substantial Baronial hospital wards block, of near-symmetrical plan. Predominantly 2-storey with 3-storey and attic sections and single storey ranges and 4-stage tower. Stugged, squared and snecked pink sandstone with ashlar dressings, base course, chamfered arrises, eaves course. Crowstepped gables.
PRINCIPAL ELEVATION: 43-bays to centre with advanced 3-bay wings framing. Advanced 3-storey, 3-bay centrepiece with tall ground floor, 5-light canted window with crenellated parapet at centre ground, set between advanced flanks with bipartite windows at ground, rounded corners and corbelled round bartizans at 2nd floor, 1st and 2nd floors with smaller bipartite windows, stone balustraded parapet linking bartizans over centre bay, small pedimented windows to attic in gableheads, over carved, square panels inscribed "E" and "R" (the architect). Central open-work spire missing. Gabled bays flanking, opening long 20-bay ranges, each with pedimented bipartite at 1st floor and slightly advanced position in re-entrant angles; 8 regularly fenestrated bays flanking, slightly advanced 4-bay sections flanking again with canted 4-light windows at ground in outer gabled bays, broken pedimented bipartites at 1st floor; 7 further regularly fenestrated bays beyond. Advanced outer wings each with 3, window and door bays to inner elevations, slightly advanced lean-to roofed bays in re-entrant angles off-centre and terminating in paired, gabled bays with bipartite window (or door) at ground and window to 1st floor, narrow attic windows lit in gablehead, chimneyheaded stacks. End elevations of advanced wings each 3-bay with gabled bay to inner side, canted window at ground, crenellated parapet, regular fenestration to centre and outer bays.
MAIN ENTRANCE ELEVATION: symmetrical 2-storey and attic, 11-bay entrance block terminating centre wing; advanced gabled bay to centre with pilastered and corniced doorpiece framing basket-arched doorway, panelled door and 2-pane fanlight, with bipartite window above (roll-moulded surround) and scrolled ribbon above lintel, below the arms of Dundee and date '1880' under pedimented panel in gablehead, corners rounded with corbelled circular section bartizans at eaves. Centre wing with 3-storey block reading through from principal elevation, with corbelled circular section dormers flanking centre and single storey links with main entrance block. Flanking bays each side with slightly advanced 2-bay gable to centre, flanked by single bay towards entrance and 2 bays to outer side.
SIDE ELEVATIONS: 2-storey, paired gables and canted bays corbelled out into circular towers with candle-snuffer roofs. Single storey ranges at return ends of side wings, that at E end the laundry and sewing room, with steeper roof then workshop at W end.
INNER COURTYARD: 3-storey and basement, crenellated water tower.
TOWERS: gabled, 4-stage towers set in re-entrant angles of principal and side elevations, rising from courtyard side. Each with corbelled circular section bartizans clasping 4 corners at eaves, with conical roofs.
STALK: red engineering brick, tapered chimney stalk to rear rising from altered/rebuilt boiler house, banded at intervals and painted at head.
SCREEN WALLS: curve in symmetrically to frame the entrance block. Simple railings to front of terrace.
Timber sash and case windows, predominantly 4-pane glazing pattern; some 2- and 12-pane, some fixed and altered for ventilation. Grey slate roofs. Beak skewputts. Gablehead and ridge stacks with battered coping. Carved stone gablehead finials and iron finials to conical roofs of bartizans and turrets. Fire escapes to rear and in various re-entrant angles.
INTERIOR: simple and for the most part re-ordered. 2 mural paintings by Alberto Morocco, 1961, in patient's dining room, painted directly on plaster walls and depicting a Scottish Harbour scene and contrasting beach scene in sunnier climes.
Gymnasium and boiler house are later additions in rear courtyards. Greystanes House is the principal building at the present hospital which was built originally as a pauper asylum to replace the earlier Dundee Royal Lunatic Asylum in the town: it was originally known as Westgreen Asylum owing to its location. It was soon adapted to take all class of patients, until, in 1898, plans for the delayed private patients block were prepared by T S Robertson (see separate listing for Gowrie House). Part of a B group with Gowrie House, Liff House, Unit Offices and the Main Gate Lodge.
Not to be confused with KINGSWAY WEST SWALLOW HOTEL (FORMERLY GREYSTANE HOUSE) Longforgan Parish, Dundee.
Other nearby listed buildings