This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9261 / 55°55'34"N
Longitude: -3.233 / 3°13'58"W
OS Eastings: 323054
OS Northings: 671025
OS Grid: NT230710
Mapcode National: GBR 8DR.M4
Mapcode Global: WH6SS.99RT
Entry Name: 3 and 4 Lockharton Gardens
Listing Date: 4 July 1985
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394946
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47614
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Fountainbridge/Craiglockhart
Traditional County: Midlothian
James Gowans, dated 1884. Imposing pair of semi- detached houses, 2-storey and attic over raised basement; rectangular-plan with central projections to NE and SW; squared and coursed rubble with cream sandstone dressings, droved quoins; chamfered reveals; Gowans' 'stick-style' detailing of vertical ashlar and rubble banding to aprons of canted windows and chimney stacks; pen-nib carving to dormerheads; paired stone brackets to eaves; ashlar mullions.
NE (front) elevation: 4-bay; mirrored about centre; 2-bay central piend-roofed stone porch projection with 2 tripartite windows at ground floor, basement doors (later alterations) and narrow flanking windows below; panelled doors with lugged architraves on returns, accessed by stairs with pierced ashlar balustrades and decorative railings; single windows in outer bays; 1st floor window to each bay breaking eaves with pedimented dormerheads.
SW (rear) elevation: 3 advanced bays flanked by narrow blank bays; central full-height 4-light canted window breaking eaves with half-piended roof; single windows in outer bays, 1st floor windows breaking eaves with pedimented dormerhead; bipartite window at basement on return.
NW and SE elevations: each comprised of 2 full-height canted bays breaking eaves with half-piended roofs; carved timber apex panels to gambrel roofs.
Timber sash and case windows, some casements, mostly 4- or 8-pane upper sashes, plate glass or 2-pane lower sashes; green slate roof, lead flashings, 2 cross-sectioned corniced stacks (see above) with decorative serrated cans, large rooflight to SW; ornamental cast-iron gutterheads; single storey garage to SW.
Interiors: not seen 1992.
Low boundary wall with saddleback coping (heightened in places), square gatepiers at No 3, decorative cast-iron gates.
The whole house was owned by Gowans widow, Lady Mary Brodie Gowans at least until 1899.
Other nearby listed buildings