History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Killiecrankie, Druimuan Including Boundary Walls

A Category B Listed Building in Moulin, Perth and Kinross

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.7464 / 56°44'46"N

Longitude: -3.7793 / 3°46'45"W

OS Eastings: 291280

OS Northings: 763051

OS Grid: NN912630

Mapcode National: GBR KB1W.MJP

Mapcode Global: WH5M9.XPJJ

Entry Name: Killiecrankie, Druimuan Including Boundary Walls

Listing Date: 5 March 2001

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 394966

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47633

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Moulin

County: Perth and Kinross

Electoral Ward: Highland

Traditional County: Perthshire

Find accommodation in
Bridge of Tilt

Description

Designed and built in 1863 and extended in 1877 both by architect Andrew Heiton Junior. 1907 extension to the east. Two-storey, five-bay Baronial house with bellcast-roofed entrance tower and corbelled turret. Squared and snecked rubble with ashlar dressings. Segmental-headed openings; keystone; chamfered arrises and stone mullions.

Southwest (principal) elevation: broad advanced gable to right of centre with crenellated canted window to each floor, similar wide-centre window (centre light converted to door) at ground floor of recessed bay to left with single window above breaking eaves into swept gablet. Further recessed bay to right with stylised keystone in segmental opening with square window incorporated into stepped chimney breast, dominant shouldered stack to left abutting entrance tower (see below) in re-entrant angle beyond. Lower set-back bays to left of centre with similar fenestration, later (?) single storey pentice-roofed link bay to right, bay to outer left canted at first floor where corbelled to square in gablehead breaking eaves with elongated corbelled turret in re-entrant angle to outer left.

Entrance Tower: angled two-stage tower with moulded doorpiece giving way to porch at first stage, part-glazed panelled timber door to recessed face within; reduced second stage with tall narrow light giving way to attenuated bellcast roof with decorative cast iron finial.

Southeast elevation: crenellated tripartite at each floor in gabled bay to left and window to each floor of two bays to right. That to outer right at first floor is breaking eaves into a jerkinhead roof.

Northwest elevation: gabled elevation with window to each floor at right.

Northeast (rear) elevation: rambling elevation with variety of elements including jerkinheaded bay to left, advanced single storey offices and later single storey extensions.

Four and eight-pane and plate glass glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Keystoned window is fixed. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks with flu dividers. Overhanging eaves and plain bargeboarding with kingposts; cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers and fixings. Hoppers dated 1863 and 1907.

Interior: not seen (2000).

Boundary walls: coped rubble boundary walls.

Statement of Interest

An 1863 drawing by the Perth architect Andrew Heiton Junior shows a proposed design for a house at Auldgerneck for Major Inglis. Another drawing names the building Auldgirneg . The drawings both depict the same house as that built at Druimuan and it is likely that the building was named Druimuan on completion. The burn which runs by the side of the house and the original Druimuan coach house is called "Allt Girnaig" and the previous name for the settlement at Killiecrankie was "Girnaig". Allt means stream.

Druimuan House first appears on the 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey Map (surveyed 1899, published 1900). It is not shown on the previous Ordnance Survey map which was surveyed in 1862.

The original part of the house has a decorative rainwater hopper that is dated 1863. A drawing dated 1877 is titled additions to Druimuan for Major Inglis . This drawing is not signed but the address of the architect is 72 George Street, Perth. The 1885 Post Office Directory for Perth registers this address to Andrew Heiton and so it can be assumed that Heiton was responsible for both the original design and the additions, 14 years later.

A later wing was added to the west side in 1907. A rainwater hopper is dated 1907 on that section of the building and the current owner (2017) has drawings of the extension dated 1907.

Another rainwater hopper is dated 1907 and so it is likely a further addition was added to the building at that date.

1889 Druimuan was owned by Mrs F L Alston Stewart and occupied by Mrs Wyndham Rachel Inglis. The lawns to principal elevation are terraced by the house.

Listed building record updated in 2017.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.