History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Moulin, Wester Kinnaird, Carngeal with Ancillary Building, and Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls Extending Around Carncroft

A Category B Listed Building in Moulin, Perth and Kinross

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.7122 / 56°42'44"N

Longitude: -3.7117 / 3°42'42"W

OS Eastings: 295315

OS Northings: 759145

OS Grid: NN953591

Mapcode National: GBR KB6Z.GGF

Mapcode Global: WH5MJ.YKP6

Entry Name: Moulin, Wester Kinnaird, Carngeal with Ancillary Building, and Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls Extending Around Carncroft

Listing Date: 5 March 2001

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 394971

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47638

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Moulin

County: Perth and Kinross

Electoral Ward: Highland

Traditional County: Perthshire

Find accommodation in
Moulin

Description

Probably 1879, extended late 19th century. 2-storey, 3-bay villa with 3-stage bellcast-roofed entrance tower and 2-stage conical-roofed tower. Rock-faced squared rubble with rock-faced and dressed ashlar margins with squared and snecked coursed rubble. Round-headed tower windows and lucarnes. Stone mullions.

SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: broad gabled bay to left of centre with canted tripartite window at ground giving way to moulded blocking course and bipartite above; 2 windows to each floor of recessed bays to right, that to outer right at ground converted to door with timber conservatory and those to 1st floor dormerheaded.

SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: entrance tower (see below) to centre bay, 2 tall margined stair windows immediately to right and set-back bay beyond to right with panelled timber door, plate glass fanlight and flanking narrow lights, further window at 1st floor; gabled bay to outer left with full-height stepped chimney breast piercing gablehead. Later regularly-fenestrated bays to outer right.

ENTRANCE TOWER: pitch-roofed porch with rustic poles and decorative braces, roll-moulded shouldered doorway, boarded timber door and decorative hinges to NE and single window to SE of 1st stage, further windows to these elevation at 2nd stage and round-headed bipartites to 3rd stage giving way to bellcast roof with cast-iron weathervane, finialled lucarnes to SE, NE and NW, and shouldered stack to SE.

NW ELEVATION: 4-bay elevation with 3 windows to each floor of round tower to centre; bay to right with window to ground at outer right and further window high up to left in small gablehead; advanced gable in bay to left with window to each floor, door to left and lower bay with further door to outer left.

NE (REAR) ELEVATION: extended elevation with variety of elements including projecting office ranges and dormerheaded window to centre.

4-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks with cans, some polygonal. Overhanging eaves and bargeboarding with kingposts.

INTERIOR: good decorative scheme in place including decorative plasterwork cornicing; architraved doors, dado rail, brass sash lifts, panelled shutters and cast-iron radiators. Part-glazed screen door with flanking lights and fanlights. Cantilevered dog-leg staircase with barley twist balusters, ball-finialled newels and pendant finials. Principal ground floor rooms with marble fire surrounds, room to W with keystoned white marble fireplace and cast-iron horseshoe grate; that to E with black marble fireplace and moulded consoles. Coloured margins to upper stair window.

ANCILLARY BUILDING: single storey rubble and slate former laundry (converted to dwelling) with square window below voussoired roundel with blind shield in gable to SW, and door with 3 window to right and small square window to left to SE.

GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: pyramidally-coped, square-section ashlar gatepiers with coped rubble boundary walls.

Statement of Interest

The owner has access to a plan dated April 1879, thus attribution of this date. A further plan of drain positions is dated 1883 and issued from 111 Bath Street, Glasgow. Both villa and land were sold by Henry Black Stewart's Trustees to William Mitchell in 1882.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.