This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.7496 / 56°44'58"N
Longitude: -3.7872 / 3°47'14"W
OS Eastings: 290802
OS Northings: 763421
OS Grid: NN908634
Mapcode National: GBR KB0W.9XC
Mapcode Global: WH5M9.SMQ1
Entry Name: Urrard House Including Walled Garden with Ancillary Building and Gate
Listing Date: 5 March 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394980
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47646
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Highland
Traditional County: Perthshire
William Burn, dated 1831; rear wing rebuilt 1860s, and 1963 (see Notes). 2-storey, 4-bay Scots-Jacobean house. Squared rubble with stugged quoins, raised quoin strips and margins. Extension squared rubble and harl. String course. Pointed-arch, deeply moulded doorpiece with hoodmould. Stone mullions.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: projecting curvilinear gable to centre with 2-leaf panelled timber door at ground, bipartite window above and dated armorial panel in gablehead; window to each floor in bay to right of centre and in 2 bays to left.
N ELEVATION: 2 windows (grouped to centre and right) to each floor with broad stack breaking eaves as gablehead above, gabled return to right with single window to each floor and in gablehead with unobtrusive metal fire escape. Harled face of later wing recessed to right with single storey offices projecting at outer right.
S ELEVATION: projecting curvilinear-gabled bay to outer right with full-height crenellated canted 4-light window, shield panel in gablehead. Later recessed bays to left with 2 full-height crenellated and canted windows as above (but 3-light) flanking single window bay and further window to each floor of outer left bay; 2 round-headed dormers in copper finish centre to crenelated canted bays (2000).
W ELEVATION: later wing with bipartite window to each floor of tall gabled bay to right, centre bay with window and door beyond to left below slated porch and 2 further small windows at 1st floor, lower bay beyond to left with fixed window panel set into masonry surround with gothic (pointed arch) head and original piended rubble office wing projecting at outer left with 3 timber doors.
8- and 12-pane glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks with cans, and ashlar-coped skews with moulded skewputts. Cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.
INTERIOR: not seen 2000, but with panelled timber shutters and carved timber fireplace with green marble cheeks.
WALLED GARDEN WITH ANCILLARY BUILDING AND GATE: walled garden to NE with high coped rubble walls and gabled ancillary building, and low flat-coped walls with decorative ironwork gate.
David Walker refers indirectly to Urrard through a quotation by Lord Cockburn, who rather dismissively refers to a group of 'cottage houses', 'Urrard, Killiecrankie Cottage, Strathgarry and Lude, together with Fascally' (sic). Urrard is built near the site of the Battle of Killiecrankie (1689) after which a nearby Pictish stone was dubbed the 'Claverhouse Stone' to mark the valiant death of Graham of Claverhouse, Viscount Dundee. Sales details issued by Finlayson Hughes in 1988 date the original Urrard House as 1681, with the "present front having been added in 1831 by William Burn". They also add that the older part of the house was demolished in the 1860s and replaced with Victorian 'back quarters' which were subsequently rebuilt after a fire in 1963.
Other nearby listed buildings