History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Laurencekirk Railway Station Including Canopy

A Category B Listed Building in Laurencekirk, Aberdeenshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.8369 / 56°50'12"N

Longitude: -2.4654 / 2°27'55"W

OS Eastings: 371702

OS Northings: 771812

OS Grid: NO717718

Mapcode National: GBR X6.1017

Mapcode Global: WH8QZ.3F83

Entry Name: Laurencekirk Railway Station Including Canopy

Listing Date: 8 March 2001

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 394985

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47653

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Laurencekirk

County: Aberdeenshire

Electoral Ward: Mearns

Traditional County: Kincardineshire

Find accommodation in
Fettercairn

Description

1849. Single storey, 4-bay disused railway station. Predominantly harled. Bull-faced battered red sandstone base course; continuous red sandstone cill course; crowstepped gables.

SE (RAILWAY) ELEVATION: symmetrical; 2 central bays recessed, timber lined walls, pair of architraved bipartite windows to centre, flanked by notice boards; cast-iron canopy oversailing recess and platform, depressed arches supported on cast-iron columns. Gabled bays to outer left and right, 3-light canted windows to each, panelled timber doors with small-pane skylights to inside returns.

NE ELEVATION: not seen 2001

NW ELEVATION: symmetrical; 4-bay; pair of bipartite windows to centre bays, eaves blocking course above. Gabled bays advanced to outer left and right, bipartite window to centre of each.

SW ELEVATION: blank.

Variety of timber windows. Grey slate roofs with tiled ridges; glazed roof to canopy. Coped harled stacks breaking pitch, circular cans.

INTERIOR: comprises 2 rooms divided by a timber screen; boarded and panelled timber lining to walls; many fittings survive including simple fireplace.

Statement of Interest

Laurencekirk Railway Station was opened on the 1st of November 1849 by the Aberdeen Railway Company. It is one of the few purpose built stations in the area, and, despite its closure on the 4th of September 1967, survives in remarkably good condition. The cast-iron canopy, internal and external detailing are all of note.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.