This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7175 / 55°43'3"N
Longitude: -2.7428 / 2°44'34"W
OS Eastings: 353432
OS Northings: 647369
OS Grid: NT534473
Mapcode National: GBR 928B.Z8
Mapcode Global: WH7W3.VK27
Entry Name: 38 East High Street
Listing Date: 5 March 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394995
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47662
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Leaderdale and Melrose
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Mid 19th century. Single storey and attic double-fronted rectangular-plan farmhouse with attached single storey ancillary range to SE. Canted tripartite windows to ground floor of principal (NE) elevation; deep overhanging eaves to principal and side elevations. Coursed whinstone (less finely coursed to rear/SW elevation) with red sandstone ashlar dressings. Quoins at arrises; architraved openings.
NE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical arrangement. Central entrance with decorative panel projecting upwards from lintel and gabled sandstone hood on elaborate consoles; 4-panel timber door. Flanking canted tripartite windows with pitched sandstone roofs and droved mullions. Wide gabled dormer window with slated overhanging roof and timber bargeboards to each bay to upper floor. Short section of boundary wall of coursed whinstone rubble with rounded red sandstone coping adjoins to left; curved plan projecting outwards and terminating at pair of coped red sandstone ashlar gatepiers of square plan. Boarded timber gates to yard behind enclosing L-shaped ancillary range. Coped gable end of range adjoins left gatepost. 3 entrances with chamfered and stopped jambs open onto yard to right return; 2 entrances to rear wing set back to right; entrance to house at right angles to right; all entrances with long and short surrounds and boarded timber doors (one with rectangular fanlight); entrances to rear of range/house enclosed within later 20th century part-glazed timber passageway with sliding door. Short single storey lean-to with window adjoins doorway to left return of house; small late 20th century harled flat-roofed extension to right. Short (slightly later) infill section with window with replacement architrave adjoins left gable end of ancillary range.
SW ELEVATION: projecting entrance bay with pitched red sandstone roof to outer left; central entrance with replacement timber door with glazed upper panel and rectangular fanlight; flanking side lights to window cill level. Window to outer right; piended dormers to each of upper bays, including taller central stair window. Rear wing of ancillary range adjoins to right. 5 bays. Entrances with long and short surrounds and boarded timber doors to 3rd and 5th bays; narrow window in between; 2 windows to outer left.
SE ELEVATION: ancillary range adjoins barn.
NW ELEVATION: adjoins late 20th century garage. Otherwise blank.
Mainly 12-pane/multipane timber sash and case windows; those to upper floor of principal (NE) elevation horizontally sliding. Grey slate roofs; those to house and rear wing of ancillary range are piended. Tall coped red sandstone ashlar wallhead stack to NW side of house; coped stack to S of infill section of ancillary range; round cans.
INTERIOR: not inspected (1998).
An intact and finely detailed mid 19th century house with some unusual horizontally sliding sash windows. It was built as the farmhouse at Wyndhead Farm. 2 ranges of farm buildings are shown on the map in the Report on Parliamentary Boundaries of Scotland of 1832. By the time of the 1859 First Edition Ordnance Survey map these had been expanded to include the farmhouse, a grieve's house and bothies (see separate list description for 40 East High Street), a couple of additional ranges of farm buildings (see separate list description for Wyndhead Farm) and a horse engine. The farm was substantially expanded in the early 20th century.
Other nearby listed buildings