History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

7 and 9 Factor's Park

A Category C Listed Building in Lauder, Scottish Borders

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.7182 / 55°43'5"N

Longitude: -2.747 / 2°44'49"W

OS Eastings: 353171

OS Northings: 647449

OS Grid: NT531474

Mapcode National: GBR 928B.20

Mapcode Global: WH7W3.SJ3Q

Entry Name: 7 and 9 Factor's Park

Listing Date: 5 March 2001

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 394999

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47665

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Lauder

County: Scottish Borders

Electoral Ward: Leaderdale and Melrose

Traditional County: Berwickshire

Find accommodation in
Lauder

Description

Later 19th century. Pair of single storey cottages, probably originally schoolhouse and schoolmaster's cottage, adjoining at right angles to form overall L-plan. Both have gabled porches and prominent timber mullioned and transomed windows and leaded diamond pane glazing. Coursed partially snecked whinstone with sandstone/red sandstone ashlar dressings. Sandstone quoins at arrises. Red sandstone ashlar architraves to openings.

NO 7 (SCHOOLHOUSE): S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: gabled slightly projecting central bay with mullioned and transomed window; sandstone panel to gable above; mullioned and transomed window set back to each of flanking bays. Lower linking bay with small window set back to outer right adjoins No 9. W ELEVATION: gabled porch with small window projects to left of gable end; entrance with boarded timber door with strap hinges to right return. Mullion and transom window set back to right. N and E ELEVATIONS: not inspected (1998).

NO 9 (HEADMASTER'S COTTAGE): W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: gabled porch with pendant timber finial projects to centre; entrance with boarded timber door with strap hinges; small window to right return (possibly one to left). 3-light window set back to right. 2-light window set back to left. Adjoins lower linking bay of No 7 at right angles to outer left. S ELEVATION: mullion and transom window to gable end. N and E ELEVATIONS: not inspected (1998).

Leaded diamond pane casement windows throughout. Grey slate roofs. Pair of yellow brick ridge stacks with band courses to each cottage; round cans.

INTERIORS: not inspected (1998).

Statement of Interest

An intact grouping with unusual surviving leaded diamond pane windows. Built as an infant school and cottage for schoolmaster/mistress. According to Thomson "in 1869 the infant school, which had been built and maintained by the Lauderdale family, was transferred to the Heritors. It is now (1902) incorporated with the public school. The infant schoolhouse continues to be occupied by the infants' mistress".

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.