This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7818 / 55°46'54"N
Longitude: -2.1311 / 2°7'52"W
OS Eastings: 391872
OS Northings: 654283
OS Grid: NT918542
Mapcode National: GBR F1KL.D7
Mapcode Global: WH9Y9.7XFZ
Plus Code: 9C7VQVJ9+PG
Entry Name: Broadmeadows Home Farm, West Range
Listing Date: 15 March 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395016
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47680
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Probably early to earlier 19th century with later alterations. Near symmetrical, 2-storey, 7-bay, classical rectangular-plan range enclosing courtyard with gabled dovecot surmounting central entrance pend. Coursed and droved pink sandstone to central block; coursed and tooled pink sandstone to flanking wings (tooled sandstone rubble at rear); sandstone ashlar dressings throughout. Moulded eaves in part; droved quoins and long and short surrounds to openings; projecting cills.
W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: taller, slightly projecting gabled central bay with large, full-height round-arched pend opening; blank rectangular panel where breaking eaves above; dovecot in surmounting gablehead with flight holes and projecting ledge in rectangular panel. 3-bay wing to left with large boarded timber door at ground to outer left; blind windows at ground in remaining bays to right; squat, blind windows in all bays at 1st floor. 3-bay wing to right with blind windows in all bays at ground; irregularly-spaced ventilated windows set between squat, blind windows at 1st floor.
E (COURTYARD) ELEVATION: tall, slightly projecting central bay with large, round-arched opening at ground; ventilated window above; dovecot in gablehead with flight holes and projecting ledge in central panel. 4-bay wing to left with large, boarded timber door at ground to right; boarded timber doors at ground in 2 bays to left; squat, ventilated windows aligned at 1st floor; boarded timber door in former depressed-arched opening at ground to outer left (blocked). 3-bay wing to right with large, boarded timber door at ground to left; boarded timber doors at ground in 2 bays to right; ventilated windows at 1st floor in 2 bays off-set to left. Lower block projecting to outer right linking W and N ranges with S elevation comprising boarded timber door at ground off-set to left of centre; gabled window breaking eaves above.
Predominantly ventilated timber windows. Corrugated-iron pitched roof to later dovecot; coped skews; piended corrugated-iron roofs to flanking wings. Iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
Set to the E of and still associated with Broadmeadows House (1999). An impressive range, particularly notable for its large, arched entrance and later dovecot addition. The gabled form of the dovecot is out-of-character with the earlier classical range but adds a traditional Scottish note. Forms 1 side of a near 4-sided courtyard - the N range of which has been converted into holiday accommodation. The 1862 OS map shows the W and N ranges forming an L-plan prior to the erection of the later ranges to the S and E.
Other nearby listed buildings