This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7821 / 55°46'55"N
Longitude: -2.1096 / 2°6'34"W
OS Eastings: 393224
OS Northings: 654319
OS Grid: NT932543
Mapcode National: GBR F1QL.23
Mapcode Global: WH9Y9.KXNQ
Plus Code: 9C7VQVJR+V5
Entry Name: Clarabad Mill Including Cottage
Listing Date: 15 March 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395021
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47683
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Mid to later 18th century in origin century with NW wing dated '1854'; further additions and alterations. 3-storey with attic, 5-bay, rectangular-plan former corn and flour mill with single storey projection to front; 3- and 2-storey projections at rear. Taller kiln house adjoined to right with single storey projection to front; lean-to addition at rear. Principal block: tooled sandstone rubble (rendered in part); tooled quoins and long and short surrounds to openings; brick-built projection to front; part sandstone rubble, part brick-built projections at rear. Kiln house: brick-built with brick addition at rear; sandstone rubble wing adjoined to front with tooled sandstone dressings. Single storey, 4-bay cottage to W.
NW (FRONT) ELEVATION: principal block with single windows centred at all floors and in bay off-set to right. Single storey gabled wing projecting to left; single window at upper floor off-set to left; blocked opening to outer left. Sliding boarded timber door at ground to outer right. Kiln house adjoined to right with single window centred at upper floor; gabled wing projecting at ground with single window centred in gable end; lintel stone embossed 'W.C.L 1854'.
NE (SIDE) ELEVATION: principal gable end with single windows centred at all floors. Single storey, 2-bay wing recessed to right with windows in both bays. 3-storey wing recessed to left with single windows at all floors off-set to right of centre; 2-storey, 4-bay wing adjoined to left with squat windows at both floors in all bays.
SE (REAR) ELEVATION: principal block with single windows centred at all floors and in bay off-set to right; gabled projection off-set to left of centre. Taller kiln house recessed to outer left with single storey, lean-to addition to front.
SW (SIDE) ELEVATION: 2-storey wing recessed to right. Single windows in taller kiln house to left with single storey addition to right; single storey, 3-bay wing adjoined to left with gabled opening breaking eaves at centre; flanking single windows.
Principal block with part-ventilated, small-pane timber windows; small rooflights; various timber and metal windows to remainder. Grey slate roof to principal block; part slate, part corrugated-iron roofs to remainder; stone-coped skews; some ridge vents.
INTERIOR: not seen 1999. Original milling machinery reputedly removed.
COTTAGE: single storey, 4-bay. Harled; red sandstone dressings. SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: doorway off-set to right of centre (door missing); blocked windows in 2 bays to left; blocked window to outer right. Grey slate roof; stone-coped skews to NW; apex stack; circular can. INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
Once part of the Broadmeadows estate. A good example of a relatively rare building type, now in use as a store (1999). The initials 'W.C.L' are thought to stand for Reverend William Comptie Lundie of Spital House - see separate list entry. Rutherfurd's notes a Mr David Porter as farmer and miller at Clarabad in 1866. Similar to the nearby Edington Mill (former grain mill) - see separate list entry, Chirnside Parish.
Other nearby listed buildings